Boosted Lanch = Truck falls on its face

farm boy

Reaction score
On a closed course...

I was building boost to do a burnout / launch. Built boost for a few seconds, not sure on the boost number. I let off the brake and mat the skinny pedal.

Truck does a 1 foot burnout then just looses all power like a dead pedal. Rpm's drop off.

I lift wondering what the hell is wrong with it. Truck never died. I mashed the pedal again (not to the floor) and it took off like its supposed to.

Not the first time this has happened. I don't drive like this often, just showing a friend what my truck would do which is apparently just embarrass me...

What do I need to check or look at to fix this?

I dont want to constantly be doing boosted launches while diagnosing my truck.

No access to AE. I do have a scan gauge though. What do I need to watch? Truck has good HPOP pressure and DC%.

On a side note. My cruise has been screwing up lately, not wanting to turn off when I hit the brake or cancel button. Related?

Could this be an issue with my pedal assembly?

Thanks in advance,
Clayton O.

jngreen

Reaction score
It almost sounds like it tried to lock the converter when you had little traction, and then it caught traction about the same time it locked. Try a 4x4 launch and see if it does it.

David N

Reaction score
Sounds like the converter did something funny.

I tried pulling last saturday night in 4x4 hi, just to see what happened. Pretty much exactly what you described is what happened. lol Built up, started to move at about 20 psi and then put the pedal to the floor. Then nothing. It bogged the motor really bad.

farm boy

Reaction score
IPR nut loose?

or....your torque converter took a chit.

Truck runs and shifts good in every other way. :shrug: Pulls really hard through all the gears and runs like a bat outa hell when laying into it out on the street. Ill check the IPR nut just in case.

It almost sounds like it tried to lock the converter when you had little traction, and then it caught traction about the same time it locked. Try a 4x4 launch and see if it does it.

This is a possibility.

Sounds like the converter did something funny.

I tried pulling last saturday night in 4x4 hi, just to see what happened. Pretty much exactly what you described is what happened. lol Built up, started to move at about 20 psi and then put the pedal to the floor. Then nothing. It bogged the motor really bad.

Yep, sounds like the exact same scenario. Let me know what you end up doing about it.

Ill try doing a boosted launch in 4hi sometime this week.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Truck runs and shifts good in every other way. :shrug: Pulls really hard through all the gears and runs like a bat outa hell when laying into it out on the street. Ill check the IPR nut just in case.

This is a possibility.

Yep, sounds like the exact same scenario. Let me know what you end up doing about it.

Ill try doing a boosted launch in 4hi sometime this week.
Given I have a mostly stock truck...but I've done a few boosted launches in 4x4 and never had it stall out on me.

farm boy

Reaction score
Given I have a mostly stock truck...but I've done a few boosted launches in 4x4 and never had it stall out on me.

Ever since I put the flat bed on a few years ago, I haven't done a boosted launch since the truck never sees the track anymore. That was with an old trans/converter setup though.

This recent trans / converter must not like it.

Wonder if anything can be tweaked in my tunes to not make it do this lockup during a launch business?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
You can adjust lockup. But in a sense at wot I prefer lockup as soon as possible while still being ok on the trans.
Usually 2nd at around 10-12mph at wot. I'm not exactly sure how the factory vs my pcs is but I'm sure you can set lockup per gear via mph

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
Our 450 we had if you put it to floor to hard it would fall on it face and you let up and put back down it would take off

Latest posts

Members online