Tom S

Reaction score
A nice write up by Jcart.

Attachments

• Replacesteeringmidshaft.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 307

mandkole

Reaction score
Can you see the shaft slop/movement under the dash? I'm also starting to get a little 'moan' from within the shaft on left turns so it may be time to look at a few things.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
like a little low pitched squeek/moan?? i got the same thing, was told by others it may be a clock spring or upper bearing.. let me know what u find!

mandkole

Reaction score
like a little low pitched squeek/moan?? i got the same thing, was told by others it may be a clock spring or upper bearing.. let me know what u find!

yes, low frequency moan and its only on the first couple of left turns near the house. After that, I never hear it for the rest of the day. Almost seems like a bearing thats getting a little dry. I'll get into it at some point

PSDEng

Reaction score
Bringing this one back from the dead...

I'm getting ready to do this this week, is it necessary to cut 1" off the new shaft? I know he said he did it to ease the installation, but how tough will it be if you don't cut it?

JCart

Reaction score
Bringing this one back from the dead...

I'm getting ready to do this this week, is it necessary to cut 1" off the new shaft? I know he said he did it to ease the installation, but how tough will it be if you don't cut it?

I cut the 1.0" off not only to make the install a little easier but also to provide more room for the inner and outer shafts to slide somewhat before hitting the set screw (small allen head bolt on the outer shaft) my concern was on rough road cab and frame flex might sheer off the allen head bolt. Not that it's a big deal. Try it with out cutting off the 1.0" there are a lot of variances with fit on these truck.

jrc

JCart

Reaction score
Can you see the shaft slop/movement under the dash? I'm also starting to get a little 'moan' from within the shaft on left turns so it may be time to look at a few things.

This might be steering column bearing going out, have a write up for that too in the sig link below, mechanical folder is an article for replacing the column bearings.

jrc

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.