brake caliper talk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Man, I am getting fed up with replacement parts. Even from.ford.

I put new motorcraft.calipers on the front of my superduty in 11/11 to replace the ten year old.stockers and they lasted two years and only 15k miles. Brakes have been acting funny since spring. I replaced my rears about a month ago and the truck was stopping nicely.

Two days ago, out of nowhere, its stopping poorly. Last night the.front.brakes are.dragging so bad that my brakes smokin hot! I tore the front end down and the drivers side.caliper is junk as the upper piston is not able.to.move smoothly. Its two months old and replaced a motorcraft unit with 2 years/15k miles on it.

Do i need to replace all my darn lines and abs module and front calipers again? Why arent my brakes lasting? My car and.van are shod with the best cheap crap(all they sell is crap) that money can buy and the brakes are perfect. I buy significantly higher perceived quality parts for my truck and its plagued with needless issues. Are standard superduty brakes junk? Ive heard others saying that they have bad caliper.sticking issues but is this true?

My fluid is clean, my parts are all.fairly new, and these brakes are suck.

Where am I off?

78f100

Reaction score
I just put new lines on one yesterday, the calipers were new from ford but brakes kept sticking. The new lines took care of the problem.

bruce

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the ones from the dealership. I just went with regular parts store calipers, I figured they're all junk, might as well get the lifetime warranty instead of the 1 year warranty from ford.

Reaction score
NAPA brand 5 years ago all the way around..truck sat still in the back yard for the last 2 years,, moved it last week and there still working..thought for sure at least the slide pins would hang up but she pushed into the shop pretty easy.....

TyCorr

Reaction score
Napa is gone around here. Crappy service and they all.dropped like flies about three years ago.

Anybody ever had to replace the abs module.behind the drivers side headlight?

I am going to look into ordering new brake hoses here in a bit. Just replumb the whole thing and then replace the front calipers.

Atsah

Reaction score
It doesn't sound right Ty, I think your plan is the right one.. If it was me, I would replace the lines and then try the calipers that are on the truck for the hell of it unless they are completely locked up just to see if the existing calipers move more freely..

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its just one of those things that come with trying to.keep driving an old vehicle. I think that will be my planMark. New lines, new pads, and bleed it all. If it doeznt work Ill be changing the calipers....AGAIN.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The fronts yes. It does have 4 wheel abs. I think?

There are 4 hardline coming out of the abs module. Does that mean its 4 wheel?

mandkole

Reaction score
Single acting calipers must have excellent alignment/lubrication at the pins to insure proper return after pedal release. Replace the pins if scored, grooved, etc. Scotchbrite and lube the pad sliders real well also. If the pistons are not returning when the pedal is released, they may need a bleeding or there could be debris/corrosion around the piston. For an 2 year old caliper, this does not seem likely.

You could put a C clamp around the pad over the piston to limit travel then have a buddy work the pedal to move the piston out, then you mechanically return it with the clamp. Do this a few times and this will exercise the piston through its full stroke.

The lines are not it, but they could give some improved pedal feel and less expansion under pressure. Ive still got stock lines on an early 80s mustang and the calipers return just fine.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Alright. Im guessing but the other night I used a 2x block and my 10" c clamp.to.do.just what you described. The drivers side was fairly hard to move. If I exercise the calipers a few more times and the.motion doesnt improve I.should then replace them?

Fwiw, the pins are clean and have fresh lube on them. The channels the pad ears.slide in are clean and greased.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I just had the pins sieze on the front passenger side of my truck and kill the unit bearing too.... pins were so stuck it took the torch and a bunch of hammering to get them lose.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, I dont need that bs.

Im going to go out and try running the pistons in and then back out, using a c clp and the pedal respectively. The initial.cycle Ill open the bleeder and see whats what.

Latest posts

Members online