Break in of built engine

2good2Btru

Reaction score
Trying to get some of ideas from guys that have built their engines. What did you do to break your engine in? Do burnouts like Bigrpowr, LoL. Not but serious, u guys just drive it normal for a couple days, weeks so on.

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
I usually let it idol until it reaches full temp, then shut it off and let it cool completely. I would drive easy for 500 miles, do an oil change. Then drive it normal.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Don't baby and abuse it. Put it under a pretty good load i would say.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Add on to this question....what do you guys do for first fire up? Key off jump starter to build oil pressure or just fire it up normal since it will probably take a while to fire?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Use a good quality break in oil like Joe Gibbs, just something high in zinc content. This is a very important step for the longevity of any fresh motor. After 500 miles of break in oil change the filter and oil and run what ever you normally run.

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Never built a diesel but on gas engines when I dont prime the engines yes I get oil pressure before the first fire. Either starter button or disconnect the ignition.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
idle briefly, verify no leaks, run it around the block a time or two, verify no leaks, drive as you normally would on a cold engine... probably not more than 1/3 throttle or so until you're at full operating temp

once engine is at full operating temp, stop, engage 4wd, and "release the fury, Mitch"

If it blows up under full load with 15 minutes of run time, it would have blown up with 15 days of run time as soon as you gave it full load.

drive it at varying load, but don't be afraid to give it the coals. I would change the oil at 500 miles, then at 1000, then at your regular interval. Honestly you could just change it at regular interval, but the early oil changes on a fresh engine are a rain dance that I can't let go of

Reaction score
Add on to this question....what do you guys do for first fire up? Key off jump starter to build oil pressure or just fire it up normal since it will probably take a while to fire?

I do the starter jump when the truck has multiple turbos to make sure they get plenty of oil before start up, doesn't hurt to do it even with everything stock. As far as break in, run it hard. I just got an LBZ going a few weeks ago, took 500 miles to get the rings seated, and that was driving it hard the whole time.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Wasn't the Zink additive only needed for cam break ins back when engines had flat tappet cams and lifters? Ive never used zink on roller motors because theres really no friction on the cam with a roller lifter. Ide think a normal oil would be fine.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Wasn't the Zink additive only needed for cam break ins back when engines had flat tappet cams and lifters? Ive never used zink on roller motors because theres really no friction on the cam with a roller lifter. Ide think a normal oil would be fine.

Actually you do.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/dro/training-center/articles/roller-cams-need-break-in-too/

What brand and weight of oil would you guys recommend using for break in.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/br-break-in-oilhtml/

This is what we use, I'm sure there are others out there that work just as good but just stating what we use.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you guys are wimps!!! pin it to win it!!

Generally the only thing i do is let it idle for a few minutes and check for leaks, let it get up to temp under a light load, check for leaks again... and then beat the *** out of it LOL

The engine thats in my reg cab got built, and put on a dyno less than 30 min after it ran.

Same thing we do with truck engines here, they get on the FULL load dyno right after they are rebuilt. Rings will seat no matter what.

duddy

Reaction score

Generally the only thing i do is let it idle for a few minutes and check for leaks, let it get up to temp under a light load, check for leaks again... and then beat the *** out of it LOL

The engine thats in my reg cab got built, and put on a dyno less than 30 min after it ran.

Same thing we do with truck engines here, they get on the FULL load dyno right after they are rebuilt. Rings will seat no matter what.

Agreed, standard practice for any engine I had rebuilt while I worked at cummins.

Prelube engine, with a remote lube or cranking over.
get up to temp while backing in the dyno and chaining down.
Some engines when 1/2 load ten minutes, then 3/4 for 5, then bring it to its know several times. cool down at 1/2 load. call her good and send it.

2good2Btru

Reaction score

So just get on it huh Dustin, dont be scared. I'll keep that in mind.

outacntrl

Reaction score
All the reman Kubota's I've replaced all had a tag on them that said do not idle engine so it idled long enough for me to check for leaks then went wide open while I set the steering and messed with the hydraulics.

Poglife

Reaction score
When everyone says load .. This is just stop and go traffic no cruising? I'm putting mine tg this week and have been wondering the same about breaking it in

Latest posts

Members online