broken nozzle (kinda ot)

bruce

Reaction score
Ok this actually pertains to a 3126 cat engine but since it's heui I'll post here. It's pour in white smoke and when you accelerate it pours black smoke. I think it's a broken nozzle. How do I determine which one it is? Any input is appreciated.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Do you have access to cats electronic technician software? Can you see fuel seeping from 1 or more of the 6 exhaust ports? Possibly an in fared thermometer on the ports?

ghohouston

Reaction score
And funny enough, the 3126 heui injectors are physically identical to 7.3 injectors. Iirc, the nozzles are longer, and solenoids are a hair different though.

ghohouston

Reaction score
If it's a HEUI, unplug an injector. when the smoke goes away, you found the injector.

I think he was trying to keep from pulling the valve cover while diagnosing, but yes, if it comes to that, he would know quickly. Iirc, it's just got 10mm bolts all the way around, and doesn't take too long to pull though.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
If this has a fuel bowl, take the filter out, make sure bowl is full of fuel, crank engine over with a push-button starter and see if you have bubbles coming into the fuel. If no bowl, than put a hose a fuel line into a bucket of fuel

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Basically your looking for compression feeding back through broke tip into fuel

Arisley

Reaction score
Good thing to remember for if you have a broken injector.

Do you count bubbles and divide by 8 to figure out which injector?

JK, I feel like being an a$$hole tonight.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Lol, no, but simply unplugging them doesn't always work, you still have fuel pressure running through that injector

Arisley

Reaction score
OK, real question. Honestly not sure.

I thought, the HPO had to fire the fuel before the nozzle. I thought once the fuel hit the nozzle, every thing that happened from there on was just atomization.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

mandkole

Reaction score
turn the power off, the inj is dead. Pull plugs until the smoke goes away. If that wasn't the case, just keying the fuel pump during prestart would flood the motor...lol

cleatus12r

Reaction score
Easy.

Infrared thermometer.

Find the exhaust port that's a wildly different (lower in this case) temperature at idle. There's your culprit.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Done cct cold? The last 3126 I put an injector in was way low on power and hard to start, and when you would get it running, missed like hell. By the time you drove it around the yard to the shop, the engine would warm up enough that electronic technician wouldn't show a bad injector. We waited till the next morning and had computer all ready to go before first start. Finally found the bad injector

Last edited:

bruce

Reaction score
Yeah it was cold because et kept showin a warning about how its not supposed to do test at that temp

04stroker

Reaction score
OK, real question. Honestly not sure.

I thought, the HPO had to fire the fuel before the nozzle. I thought once the fuel hit the nozzle, every thing that happened from there on was just atomization.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

To answer your question obviously the HPO has to fire the injector so unplugging it does shut it off that is correct. But if it is a cracked or broken nozzle you still always have fuel pressure down to the nozzle so if it is cracked and not holding back the fuel pressure until the injector fires via HPO, then it will continue to flow fuel through the broken/cracked nozzle.

boggerr

Reaction score
If you don't have access to a scanner you have to pull the valve cover. You cold have a couple of bent pushrods. The lock nuts on the rockers back off. Pull the valve cover to start, has to come off anyway

bruce

Reaction score
I have cat et, it just didn't tell me much. Luckily the engine can be on the stand in about 15 minutes. I guess I'll bust the valve cover off. I might just take a known good injector and swap each one until i can get it to stop.

Latest posts

Members online