Broken output shaft on tcase?

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Leisurely driving to work today i hear a huge bang. Almost like a backfire. My first reaction was to hit the clutch take the truck out of gear (zf6 tranny manual tcase). Truck was making unusual vibrations as i slowed down and pulled off the road. Get in the bar ditch and leave the truck running in neutral. Engine sounds normal look for the obvious front or rear driveshaft broken gobs of fluid leaking. I see nothing out of the ordinary. Decided to attempt to limp on to work a few miles down the road. Put the truck in gear and have no movement. Get back out and double check the drivetrain. Again the driveshaft isnt spinning in gear at idle in 1st. Decided to kick it into 4 wheel and i have movement again. The truck is making pretty rough noises but made it to work. Im pretty sure the rear axle isnt the culprit since when in gear the rear shaft wasnt spinning. The tcase is a chain driven unit so for fourwheel to work the chain has to be intact as well as the transmission. About the only outher thing it could be is the output shaft breaking right? Gotta love old trucks with 337k on the clock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
yea pretty much spot on. If you were able to drive in front wheel drive there is a something broken on the t-case main shaft. Maybe even rolled splines on the output yoke area. I have seen that happen when rock crawling.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
If it was rolled splines i dont think ot would have made the loud pop. Im leaning twards a broken shaft. Dont have the truck at the house to tear it down so it will be a while till i get aroind to it. Now to hunt down parts costs and see if i can find a replacement and start weighing odds on if ill attempt a rebuild

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Are the tcases the same for auto and manual trannys on the 2005-2010 trucks?

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Thanks much appreciated but im not sure if it would work and the truck has a manual tcase.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Did you ever get this figured out. parts from a manual t-case can be swapped to an auto t-case.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
From what i was told the 05-10 is the same tcase auto or manual. After actually looking closer the rear tail housing of the zf6 is what broke. Need to learn some more about the tranny as far as compatibility looks like a tail housing is like 780 thru midwest. Which is way to expensive

Latest posts

Members online