Broken Rings

groove

Reaction score
My cracked piston turned out to be both rings on #2, top ring on #5 and top ring on #8...I suppose that's why it smoked so much. New pistons on the list among a few other things, may as well its all apart now!
IMG_0241.jpg

Dzchey21

Reaction score
did it mess up the top of the cylinder? Pretty common for them to chunk it out and force you to bore the block or sleeve it

groove

Reaction score
Yes, looking like it. Hoping the block checks out good enough to use std bore pistons, Id like to put the HD ones in but there are only available in standard bore.. what is everyone using for oversize pistons?

04stroker

Reaction score
Yes, looking like it. Hoping the block checks out good enough to use std bore pistons, Id like to put the HD ones in but there are only available in standard bore.. what is everyone using for oversize pistons?

I would contact Morgan@midwest if you need oversize and get a set of his forged pistons.

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score

I just bought OEM Ford .020 over and had them delipped.
Ceramic coating wouldn't hurt either.

groove

Reaction score
the forged slugs are out of my budget, may have to go the factory route and have them machined like 6.4 stroker.
Have we heard how machined factory pistons are holding up?
Not that I have huge plans for horsepower (running mini maxx race), but I don't care to remove the engine again..

webb06

Reaction score
You definitely don't need forged pistons on a DD truck. Get ahold of Morgan @ midwest and get the HD delipped and coated pistons he offers. Std bore is available

White_monster

Reaction score
Forged pistons require a larger piston to wall clearance, Morgan's pistons require 0.007"-0.008" wall clearance and factory is 0.003"-0.004". The increase in wall clearance is due to the material used in the pistons and the amount of expansion once up to temp. Yes ring lands wear but that's not the only thing to consider. The increase in wall clearance will give off piston slap when started. The noise will go away once up to temp but that's still extra wear on the cylinder and piston skirt from rocking in the bore. A lot of drag race engines incorporate a coolant heater to preheat the coolant to 160* and this helps to expand the piston some without extra wear.

Hope this helps.

Boosted6.4

Reaction score
Forged pistons require a larger piston to wall clearance, Morgan's pistons require 0.007"-0.008" wall clearance and factory is 0.003"-0.004". The increase in wall clearance is due to the material used in the pistons and the amount of expansion once up to temp. Yes ring lands wear but that's not the only thing to consider. The increase in wall clearance will give off piston slap when started. The noise will go away once up to temp but that's still extra wear on the cylinder and piston skirt from rocking in the bore. A lot of drag race engines incorporate a coolant heater to preheat the coolant to 160* and this helps to expand the piston some without extra wear.

Hope this helps.

That makes sense! Thanks for the explanation, I was just curious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online