BTS 3-4 shift flair

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
After my BTS install (which I got used with 20k miles) I noticed what seemed like a slip between my 3-4 shift. After talking to Brian we have determined that it is not slipping as it only happens under 1/2 throttle. He claims the TC is remaining unlocked longer then it takes to shift hence my rpm spike at the end of the shift. Over 1/2 throttle it shifts perfectly. Brian claims that the OBS PCM is too stupid to correct the issue and has to be corrected hydraulically which I do believe to be true. I installed a new valve body plate today that was set up for a higher HP truck (the plate that was installed orginally was set up for 350hp) in hopes it would fix the problem. I'm running PHP tunes setup for a stock trans with a BTS valve body and after talking to bill, he claims the tune should work just fine with the new trans. I also have removed the chip and it still does it under stock tuning but not as bad. I'd like to get this problem solved but Brian is very hard to get ahold of....

So my ???? To all is has anyone exparianced this with a BTS trans and what did u do to get rid of it. I'm not bashing Brian in any way, the trans is awesome and this is my only problem with it and soposed to be a common problem with the OBS trucks. Any help is appreciated

spongebob915

Reaction score
Maybe try someone else's tunes just to confirm that's not the problem..
What is done to the truck I'll let u try my chip if you want.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I'm gonna try that tomorrow, it's a stock truck other then the ususal exhaust and intake. But since it does it in stock also I doubt it will work.

Tom S

Reaction score
No issues on mine but I think there are timers in the tuning that effect the torque converter unlock time.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
Frank, I've got a BTS, and a TS chip, with Tony Wildman's tunes, and mine does not do that.

it shifts firmly thru all gears, in every position of the chip.

a_port93

Reaction score
I have John wood parts in my tranny and bills tunes and it does the exact same thing.john told me the same thing that bill was still lookin through the obs program to keep it locked on the overdrive shift..glad I'm not alone lol
I haven't heard anything from anyone about it

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I just tried 10 different swamps tunes, some made it worse, some made it better. But they still all had the same problem... The saga continues

JD3020

Reaction score
My trans will do it sometimes, but not all the time. Seems to get worse as it warms up. I've even been bumping up line pressure with no change. My next change was going to be with the converter lock-up, but my turbo took a dump before i had a chance to mess with it.

a_port93

Reaction score
Same here on the sometimes locked sometimes unlocked od shift...also the operating temperature seems to play a role.the colder the better

Gootee

Reaction score
I have a locally built trans and mine does it too. Did it before it was rebuilt as well. Mine does it full throttle though too

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Mine only does it under half throttle, I'm gonna try a new VSS in the rear as my spedo is choppy and I'm gonna re-program it to make it correct as all the little things copounded together may cause the large problem. If still no fix I'm go a call Brian any see what he says. Atleast this time I will have my ducks in a row when I call him

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
mine does the exact same thing and brian told me that exactly as well. its not a terrible flare but its kind of annoying, decided to live with it.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Not an OBS. But I had a guy with a stock 03 with TS tunes come to me with a similar issue. Basically felt as if the TC was locking early on hard accel then unlocking at random points and causing a "flare" Threw in some new tunes and hasnt done it since.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
^^^ I've tried other tunes with no avail.

On another note, picked up a motor craft VSS today, if I get time I will swap it tomorrow and see what happens

Reaction score
My truck did this bad with the original trans which was built by jasper. I had php tuning and the issue still persisted.

After I smoked the trans I got a bts, switched to Dyno proven and haven't had the problem since. Fwiw I have a tde1 pcm

Latest posts

Members online