BTS E40D Wont Shift

TURTLE

Reaction score
Any Ideas why it would be stuck in the last gear? It will go into park, 1st, 2nd, and reverse but if I put it into drive it will not shift normally and stays in the last gear? Sounds like a TC problem. Any advice and is it okay to still drive it to get it checked out? Thanks.

TURTLE

Reaction score
Any help? Really my biggest concern is is it okay to drive to work tomorrow? I need to know ASAP.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I would call BTS. From what I hear his customer service is second to none. I'm sure he could get you squared away.

TURTLE

Reaction score
Yeah Ive delt with Brian a couple times. i'm not too worried about him taking care of it. i'm more worried about getting to work tomorrow and wondering if a 5 mile or so limp is going to kill it...

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yeah Ive delt with Brian a couple times. i'm not too worried about him taking care of it. i'm more worried about getting to work tomorrow and wondering if a 5 mile or so limp is going to kill it...

I would never advise someone to drive a vehicle with a malfunctioning trans to drive it around.

You got to do what you got to do.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Had the same problem with mine.
Ended up being a extremely small plug that may or may not need to be pulled out depending on your setup.
About one and a half mm plug.
Took it back to him and he had it fixed in no time.
For free.
Even let me take his daughters tuned 6.0 out to lunch lol.
Great experience to meet these people.

TURTLE

Reaction score
I talked to him today. He said he was almost positive it wasnt a hard part or the PCM because the symptoms (Only having 4th, 2nd, R, P, High Low) were dead on a transmission that isnt getting power. Gave me some things to pin out on the passenger side solenoid pack (1 and 12 Pins) to see if it is getting juice. I'll keep you guys posted. I'm going to un-hook the bateries to re-set the PCM and see if that does anything as well.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Never paid much attention on the 95-97s but I had a trans relay (can't remember exact one it's been so long) under the hood on my 93 go out. Caused the trans to do just as you describe, stuck in OD. Stopped by auto zone & $15 later I was hitting every gear perfect again.

Can you get a local shop to hook a scanner on it to see if there are codes or see what gears it is or isn't commanding ?

TURTLE

Reaction score
Never paid much attention on the 95-97s but I had a trans relay (can't remember exact one it's been so long) under the hood on my 93 go out. Caused the trans to do just as you describe, stuck in OD. Stopped by auto zone & $15 later I was hitting every gear perfect again.

Can you get a local shop to hook a scanner on it to see if there are codes or see what gears it is or isn't commanding ?

Redline Diesel is right down the road from me. I may try to see what they would charge to scan it. Kind of worried driving it over there though. I checked all the fuses under the hood and they passed a visual inspection. I'm going to check continuity on them all tonight though. I also changed all the relays around hoping maybe I would put a good one where the bad one was but no dice. I'm going to try to unhook the bateries and re set everything then check and see if I'm getting power to the trans before I spend money because I doubt they will "Help a brother out"...

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Visually checking the fuses is about as useful as changing the air in the tires. Unhooking the batteries is not as useful as visually checking the fuses. It doesn't reset anything, except clear codes that you need to diagnose this.

TURTLE

Reaction score
So here is the deal. In the E4OD when it is not getting power it has 2nd, 4th, P, R, High, Low (Exactly what mine was doing). Power is supplied to the trans on the passenger side solenoid pack. (Two red wires, Pins 1 and 12). 12 pins wire was split like a Texas devorce. Fixed it and it ran like a charm.

fatsix

Reaction score
So here is the deal. In the E4OD when it is not getting power it has 2nd, 4th, P, R, High, Low (Exactly what mine was doing). Power is supplied to the trans on the passenger side solenoid pack. (Two red wires, Pins 1 and 12). 12 pins wire was split like a Texas devorce. Fixed it and it ran like a charm.

Good to know.

Latest posts

Members online