BTS Trans/ PCS trans control

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I wanted to see what kind of input I could get on here before I took the time to get a hold of BTS and bug them with my questions.
I've recently purchased an E4OD BTS from a 97 powerstroke, this will be going in my 99 with a PCS. I've talked to a few about bolting the trans in as an E4OD and running a PCS, and was told to add the few sensors it is missing to make it a 4R100 so that I can use the full potential of the PCS. Now what I'm wondering is what I need to add to make this a 4R100? I know the 4R100 has a sensor in the tail housing, and the tail housing on my BTS has that hole plugged with a nylon plug that pops right out. It looks like I can pull that plug out and pop that sensor right in, but is there another sensor I'll be missing after putting that one in?

Here's a picture of the plug that pops out of the tail housing to make way for the sensor.
050812_22501.jpg

Tom S

Reaction score
Seems from memory you will be missing the piece inside that creates the RPM signal for that sensor.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Seems from memory you will be missing the piece inside that creates the RPM signal for that sensor.

That's why I need to talk to BTS, I would imagine if they put that plug there, that piece for the signal would be in there as well. I think on any run of the mill E4OD that hole is closed off and there isn't a cap.

Tom S

Reaction score
Mine has that as well because they change to the steel tailpiece from the aluminum one during the build. I don't think it has the part inside though. I think we discussed this when looking at putting a SD PCM in an OBS.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I see, well I'm hoping your wrong! LOL I'll get a hold of them and see what they say about it and post back for future reference.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
That senor just sits overtop of a toner ring and counts gaps between the notches.

If the E4OD is built with that toner ring all you have to do is add in the sensor. If not it wont work.

MINK

Reaction score
That's why I need to talk to BTS, I would imagine if they put that plug there, that piece for the signal would be in there as well. I think on any run of the mill E4OD that hole is closed off and there isn't a cap.

Dave told me that was a 4r case.....I still think it needs the internal part for the sensor, Brian at bts would know best.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Pop the cover off and look. It should be very easy to tell if it has one or not.
You can see the tone ring in the picture.
IMG_1436.png

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Dave told me that was a 4r case.....I still think it needs the internal part for the sensor, Brian at bts would know best.

The E4OD and 4R100 cases are almost identical, the only difference is there a spot for a sensor on top close to the front of the trans. I forgot what that sensor was, but this trans doesn't have that hole, and I'm told that sensor is unimportant anyways.

Pop the cover off and look. It should be very easy to tell if it has one or not.
You can see the tone ring in the picture.
IMG_1436.png

Yep, I know I need to just pull the t-case and look. I was hoping someone might have a quick answer for me.

Anyway, I got ahold of Brian this morning and I'll start by saying he is every bit as helpful as everyone has always made him out to be on the forums!! He said since the trans is an E4OD it probably doesn't have that reluctor wheel on the output shaft because the E4OD doesn't need it. But if the output shaft has a raised portion where that wheel would sit then I can get a wheel and slide it onto the output shaft and plug in that sensor. Otherwise, it was suggested that instead of using that sensor to give my PCS a speed signal I can simply use the sensor in my rear axle. Seems simple enough to me! Brian also helped answer a lot of other small questions I had, so big thanks to him for being so helpful!

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Pull the plug and stick your finger in there. Youll be able to tell if the toner ring is there and or if the shaft can accept it.

The PCS offers multiple ways to control the trans. The TSS being the easiest for MPH. However like you said you can tie right into the Sensor on the rear axle. Or you can even set your shifts up through your MAP sensor. Pretty neat chit

TARM

Reaction score
I think Brian also has some base tunes he can get you for the PCS IIRC. If my long terms plans pan out I will likely be going to a PCS as well.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Pull the plug and stick your finger in there. Youll be able to tell if the toner ring is there and or if the shaft can accept it.

The PCS offers multiple ways to control the trans. The TSS being the easiest for MPH. However like you said you can tie right into the Sensor on the rear axle. Or you can even set your shifts up through your MAP sensor. Pretty neat chit

No matter what the PCS needs to see speed through the sensor on the tailhousing or off of the rear axle. But I do plan on setting up my shifts using boost to control the line pressure rather than throttle position.

I think Brian also has some base tunes he can get you for the PCS IIRC. If my long terms plans pan out I will likely be going to a PCS as well.

Yep, Brian said when I'm ready he can send me a base tune to work off of.
I talked with Charles for a couple hours about the PCS the other day, and learned quite a bit about its capabilities. It sounds like it will do whatever you want regarding trans control along with the capability of controlling many other things in addition to the trans.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
No matter what the PCS needs to see speed through the sensor on the tailhousing or off of the rear axle. But I do plan on setting up my shifts using boost to control the line pressure rather than throttle position.

I know it does LOL

Yep, Brian said when I'm ready he can send me a base tune to work off of.
I talked with Charles for a couple hours about the PCS the other day, and learned quite a bit about its capabilities. It sounds like it will do whatever you want regarding trans control along with the capability of controlling many other things in addition to the trans.

However as cool as it is, there are a few things I wish it had. It would be nice to see a secondary shift table based off of RPM. All you have is MPH.

That being said the PCS can get really in depth with the add ons and things you can add on and do.

Wackerjr

Reaction score
However as cool as it is, there are a few things I wish it had. It would be nice to see a secondary shift table based off of RPM. All you have is MPH.

That being said the PCS can get really in depth with the add ons and things you can add on and do.

FYI... your tables are ALL shifted off RPM...

Look in the line above the tables it will show you at what RPM it is going to shift off of.....

MPH is simply a calculated number, and easier for everyone to comprehend....

and you better have your Part throttle table RPM matching your WOT settings for rpm.... or it aint gonna do what you ask it to :)

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
FYI... your tables are ALL shifted off RPM...

Look in the line above the tables it will show you at what RPM it is going to shift off of.....

MPH is simply a calculated number, and easier for everyone to comprehend....

and you better have your Part throttle table RPM matching your WOT settings for rpm.... or it aint gonna do what you ask it to :)

I know, but the RPM is a bi product of what ever MPH you set it to shift at. It still shifts via the MPH number and whatever RPM it says is the PCS best guess at what numbers you programed into it.

The factory setup has alot more then just a MPH table to base shift points off doesnt it ?
It would probably make the PCS too complicated to have two tables for it to base a shift off.
Example like my case for example. How my MPH spikes on stop start. The factory junk never did that but somewhere some sort of feedback is causing that TSS sensor to read irratically. Now if it had a second table based of RPM forsay and could revert to either if one gave a bogus number. (Set parameter) Say you programed it that if it hit xx MPH in first gear before seeing the RPM programmed it would or wouldnt shift.
So in my case in first gear under hard throttle it will spike to 80 MPH and cause it to shift 1-2-3 Locked. And after it realizes its only doing 15 MPH it brings it back to normal.
If I had a RPM table that if it saw 40 MPH in first it could base the shift off of RPM ??

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I know, but the RPM is a bi product of what ever MPH you set it to shift at. It still shifts via the MPH number and whatever RPM it says is the PCS best guess at what numbers you programed into it.

The factory setup has alot more then just a MPH table to base shift points off doesnt it ?
It would probably make the PCS too complicated to have two tables for it to base a shift off.
Example like my case for example. How my MPH spikes on stop start. The factory junk never did that but somewhere some sort of feedback is causing that TSS sensor to read irratically. Now if it had a second table based of RPM forsay and could revert to either if one gave a bogus number. (Set parameter) Say you programed it that if it hit xx MPH in first gear before seeing the RPM programmed it would or wouldnt shift.
So in my case in first gear under hard throttle it will spike to 80 MPH and cause it to shift 1-2-3 Locked. And after it realizes its only doing 15 MPH it brings it back to normal.
If I had a RPM table that if it saw 40 MPH in first it could base the shift off of RPM ??

I couldn't tell you for sure if that's possible. I still have yet to buy a PCS and play with it, the most I know is what I've read or been told from a few knowledgeable people. Seems like you may have a wiring issue if the pcs see's a much higher MPH on an occasion then what your actual MPH should be reading.

Latest posts

Members online