build the 7.3, or buy a 6.4

• Build the 7.3

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Buy the 6.4

Votes: 44 44.9%

• Total voters

19stroker97

Reaction score
Just go drive one, that will be the deciding factor, it was for me anyway. The price just wasnt right or Id own it now. Cant wait to find one that suits me so I can get rid of my ol turd.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
6.7 has my vote if I were to get a newer one, was suprised how mean they sound straight piped. Pretty much have a luxury interior which is neat and all but when it comes down to it I'm buyin a truck for hauling/towing, not luxury.

Sit on the net and also just keep your eye out for a few months so you can get the feel on prices in your area and see what's availiable on what you want.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ive never had heat issues with my rig... and for me i still think my truck is more comfy then any of the newer fords... same with the half ton seats, the 97-03 seats are better then the new ones...

live life full throttle

campbellflage

Reaction score
50/50 right now on the poll. I think I should drive an tuned 08, and look for someone local to give me a ride in their 500ish 7.3 then make a decision

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
ive never had heat issues with my rig... and for me i still think my truck is more comfy then any of the newer fords... same with the half ton seats, the 97-03 seats are better then the new ones...

live life full throttle

You are the only person i've heard say that. My 6.4 is so much more comfy than my 450 was. and a 6.7.. dayum, like sitting between two big soft boobies

bruce

Reaction score
Yeah 7.3's are loud and rattle and ride like sh1t. When i got in a 6.7 for the first time and threw it in reverse and the rear view turns into a backup cam i said i got to have one

bad12jr

Reaction score
Thats what Im leaning towards doing, but it costs alot more than 15k. I figure 15k just in performance parts (thats doing all installs myself). axle swap would be at least another 1500, interior is like 2k... would probably be another 5 on top of the initial 15k. So 20k. This is why Im asking... is it worth it or am i being stupid and just trade/spend 20k and have a 8-10 year newer truck?

Parts are a little cheaper and easier to come across up here. I forgot you were in Florida. Cabs are the same. Motor is a little louder but not bad. I can barely hear it going down the road. Not like my obs where a conversation is sometimes a little difficult but some sound deadning would solve that.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You are the only person i've heard say that. My 6.4 is so much more comfy than my 450 was. and a 6.7.. dayum, like sitting between two big soft boobies

yeah ive always been told im weird.

i could understand if the work trucks have different seats in them but ive rode in a couple 6.4s that where lariats and i dont care for them that much... maybe my truck is just formed to my azz and back. i dont know what it is.

live life full throttle

fordman2121

Reaction score
I bought me an 08 this year and love it. Wife has the ex with a 7.3. I love the fact that I never worry about that 7.3 letting her down. But on the other hand I was thinking really hard about swapping in a 6.4 drivetrain down to the axles and front suspension and dash. But kinda changed my mind on that, and decided I would rather put a 6.4 into my old 89 f350 and make it a workstock puller.

Black 02

Reaction score
I'd rather have $20k into a truck that I own rather than be in debt to my ears like 90% of America. I have a solid paying job and don't know how half the people on the forums can afford these new trucks.

Must have some rich daddys. :pimp:

Besides, stomping some flatbilled tool in a newer truck with an old 7.3 is well worth the price of admission. :pointlaugh::pointlaugh::pointlaugh:

09stroker

Reaction score
I'd rather have $20k into a truck that I own rather than be in debt to my ears like 90% of America. I have a solid paying job and don't know how half the people on the forums can afford these new trucks.

Must have some rich daddys. :pimp:

Besides, stomping some flatbilled tool in a newer truck with an old 7.3 is well worth the price of admission. :pointlaugh::pointlaugh::pointlaugh:

If you can't afford a used 6.4 you shouldn't be dropping 20k into an old ass truck......

Wayne

Reaction score
If you put this thread in the 6.4 section I guarantee the poll would be a landslide in favor of buying the 6.4. I bet most of the people who voted in favor of you keeping the 7.3 have either never ridden in a tuned & deleted 6.4, or are die-hard to the grave 7.3 enthusiasts blinded by commitment. Almost all of the 6.4 owners at one point or another have owned at least one 7.3, and probably a 6.0 or two. I've personally had 7 different 7.3's, and 6 different 6.0's, and now my 6.4. I wouldn't trade my 6.4 for a parking lot full of 7.3's or 6.0's. Are they great trucks? Yes, but not by comparison. I don't regret trading up to the 6.4 where I am now, even a little bit. Perhaps it would be more helpful to have a poll of who has a 6.4, and would rather go back to the 7.3 for any realistic reason? I bet there would be 0.

Let's compare a 500 hp 7.3 to a 500 hp 6.4.

7.3: leaf sprung Dana 50 front axle, 6.4: coil sprung Dana super 60 with much tighter turning radius.

7.3: Good 4 wheel disc brakes- clears 16" wheels, 6.4: great , but requires specific 17's or 18" wheels. 6.4's also have much longer & softer rear leaf springs.

to get 500 reliable HP out of a 7.3, including the purchase price is about a wash if not more money than a 500 hp 6.4. Add up the cost of parts, and it all makes sense.

7.3 interior, bells, whistles, creature comforts etc.: way nicer than your gramps' '73 power wagon, but NO WHERE NEAR as nice as a 6.4. 7.3 has significantly more engine noise as well.

7.3 fuel mileage at 500 hp: 12-15ish. 6.4 at 500: 16-20ish

7.3: no worries with the EPA. 6.4: everybody knows a guy at a local emissions shop with bad vision/memory, and accepts tips., so no worries either.

I guarantee that a properly set up 500 hp 6.4 would outlast a properly set up 500 hp 7.3 doing equal tasks any day for reliability and longevity, all while doing it more quietly and efficiently, with greater comfort. There's also the instant throttle response of a stock turboed 6.4 compared to the lag of a single configured 500 hp 7.3. Go 7.3 compounds, and you're in it way more money than a 6.4.

The way I see it, you have 3 realistic options. Either you (1) maintain, and enjoy the 7.3 as-is, (2) throw money into a black hole trying to get it reliably to 500 hp, all while working on it every spare moment you've got, OR, (3) trade in the 7.3 on the 6.4 that has all the benefits listed above, do your $2000 worth of mods, and spend less on your payment than you would on parts for your 7.3, let alone all the time working on it. It's really not a tough decision the way I see it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online