Build opinions

ja_cain

Reaction score
Those are both a codes right? Sooo what makes a hybrid better than an a code? I know the a code uses more oil but besides that aspect what makes the hybrid better?

Too much pressure drop across the poppet valve (amongst other things) at high oil flow rates. Hybrids need less oil flow A Codes to achieve the same fuel flow, so less poppet valve pressure drop. Internal passageways also contribute to this. That's why these are most likely opened up on aftermarket performance injectors. Hope this helps. :)

superpsd

Reaction score
And the larger the nozzle the pressure drop problem increases and you need a larger nozzle for high rpm power production due to the limited data injection that gets smaller as rpms increase. To put time t in one perspective the smaller A code plunger has to travel further (stroke) to inject more fuel. A hybrid of say the same capacity does not have to stroke as far as it uses the larger diameter plunger from a B code.

Last edited:

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, been crazy at work... I'm considering the 364 because it would "limit" me as to how stupid I could be, and I need that, otherwise I'll end up with a custom piston viewing port

superpsd

Reaction score
Aim for 400-450hp and build it with room to grow when you get bored you can spend more and turn it up.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna end up going with 250/200's and a s468 and have the tuner dial it back a little bit, not all out... I've read nothing but good things on this combo..

Opinions on tuning now?

superpsd

Reaction score
OK at the new SXE line of turbos. Also the new S369sxe outflows the old S468. The S400SXE line is out. I personally would stick with a S300sxe frame turbo for daily driver use. Just my opinion . The S369 can support 700+.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
It's also been said the S369sxe outflows the old S468 however I'm not sure if the 400 frame would be more dependable longevity wise than the 400 frame?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I have decided that I want to go the t4 route, I know drop in is cheaper, and I'm going to do a full fuel system regardless. I just want a fun daily drivable truck that's reliable, and I don't exactly have a hp goal, maybe 450-500?

I've been considering either stage 2's and a s36x sxe or up to 250's dialed back a little with a s467. So from the Daily driver crowd, what's everyone's opinions, experiences combos, etc?

Im running 238/100s, 366sxe with a 1.0 housing, and supporting mods. I am also a 6 speed truck. (Actually even a 2001)

The first time I took it down the track (and first time driving a truck manual trans down a track) I ran 14.9 @ 94 mph. And at 8,000 pounds(sclb drw), and the hp calculator on this site (not sure who's is accurate, some say more, some say less) it says I am right at 450. Im sure once I iron out shifting, it would be faster, but it wasnt built for drag racing, so I may never get down a track again.

I also use my truck to haul heavy, and I also use it for trips, so minimal smoke output is important to me.

I couldnt ask for a much better setup. It does EVERYTHING I have asked it to do.

In a 6 speed config, and trying for a DD application, I'm not sure how much bigger a turbo you would want to go. I fear it could get a bit more laggy, and smokey, especially in town. And I am also afraid you may get a little frustrated, if you spend most your time under the turbo. If you wanted more that what I have, and wanted to run the 250/200s, and still retain controlled smoke output, maybe the same turbo and a gated set of pipes to keep back pressure in check. Currently how mine is setup, its 1:1 right to about 42psi.

I cant say for how the 369 comes on, because I havent run it, and the only real difference between that and mine, is on the inducer of the compressor side (all else is the same) it should come on pretty close and give you another couple of pounds of air on top. Maybe if you ran it with a .9 and a gated set of pipes, you wouldnt notice a difference at all.

The thing most people overlook is the 6 speed, and the importance for having the turbo come on down low. While still important on an auto, you dont loose all your steam on every shift.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
The 369 with a 1.0 housing comes on pretty quick like. Granted I do use a blower which helps to a small degree down low. After doing some tuning the turbo lights off fast and the boost needle moves quickly. This is with a Zf5 and 3.55s 4x4 DD. I doubt spool response is that much different between a 366 and 369 as mentioned due to the fact the only difference is the larger comp inducer. I have also read that a couple of guys have ran the 369 on a superduty with stock injectors and they claimed they work great.

Golfer (swamps) posted on here a while back that they built a 7.3 for a customer that engine dynod over 700 with a 369.

Last edited:

emev0l

Reaction score
The 369 with a 1.0 housing comes on pretty quick like. Granted I do use a blower which helps to a small degree down low. After doing some tuning the turbo lights off fast and the boost needle moves quickly. This is with a Zf5 and 3.55s 4x4 DD. I doubt spool response is that much different between a 366 and 369 as mentioned due to the fact the only difference is the larger comp inducer. I have also read that a couple of guys have ran the 369 on a superduty with stock injectors and they claimed they work great.

Golfer (swamps) posted on here a while back that they built a 7.3 for a customer that engine dynod over 700 with a 369.

700 at the crank so 550ish at the wheels?