Building my first 7.3l powerstroke

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm shooting for 600crankhp on my truck, is it cheap? Nope. But I'd take this truck over a new one anyday.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I can honestly understand people waiting to keep the old school 7.3L'ers.

But until you driven and worked a new truck... not a test drive either.... there's no comparison!

neverkickn

Reaction score

But until you driven and worked a new truck... not a test drive either.... there's no comparison!

Nothing but the truth there! And just to serve as a solid reminder I still have the 300k mile 7.3 in the stable.

m j

Reaction score
well the 6.0s certainly were no improvement.
how new do we have to go to see this 'no comparison'?
a DEF truck? no thanks

neverkickn

Reaction score
a DEF truck? no thanks

If you don't like pouring cow piss in it then you can delete, but yeah, my box stock cclb 6.7 runs circles around my tuned 7.3 scsb with stage ones and 38r. Plus it's ten times smoother and more comfortable.

Not hating on the ol 7.3 but these are facts.

neverkickn

Reaction score
To the point of the question, if you ain't got the cash to burn on doing it all at once then I would advise you to settle for a tune, some stock turbo and fuel system upgrades and maybe a set of Stage ones. If you try to "slowly" build to 700 wheel horse then you will likely get bored with it and wish at some point that you hadn't spent so much time and money trying to dig a tunnel with a spoon.

If you are dead set on doing it anyway, then good luck and have fun. There are after all worse things to spend time and money on.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
8-10k including the truck isn't much. 3300 for turbo and injectors. Then trans, fuel and hpop. I had over 10 just in stuff bolted to my engine, 15 if you include the bts.
i hear that! think im at 23k with the rebuild and all other mods.
What is there to explain.....set of good injector like a 238/100 or 250/100 and a good charger like a 38r or brute 66 if he doesnt wanna spend $$$ for a t4 mount. A 17* hpop should hold up but id upgrade personally. Fuel system such as a fass or ad or even a a-1000 with a regulated return
please for the love of god stay away from fass or airdog in a 7.3..
I think its cheaper to build a 600hp 7.3 then to buy a used stock 6.7
lol. true.. wish i had the money in the bank that ill spend on buyimg the 6.7.. i could have made one helluva 7.3 for 52k...

meh, id still take my dually over the 6.7 if it would ever get off the rag.....

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score

You have to remove the emission devices and make it a Mexico truck to run good. Mine doesn't need anything removed.

what I do with my truck, I'd have to be stupid to go buy a 6.7 and do. my E99 F250 travels to remote places and is scratched galor, dented, and dinged. I'd prefer a truck I can fix in the middle of nowhere. There's to many sensors/electronic needed to make the 6.7 run. If one fails, you're up the creek.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
a DEF truck? no thanks

I have no DEF. No egr and no dpf. Just an engine and a very well rounded transmission that surpasses as built "BTS".

It starts at zero degrees without a "wait to start" to boot. With the ever so slightest haze you could imagine for a minute or maybe two.

I don't really have any more sensors than a 7.3L.

And this is coming from a diehard 7.3L guy. I understand the attachment. I'm saying if a man can afford to do so there is no comparison.

From a business perspective you would not want to drop $30k in a $15k truck. Reliability at that point is further than a 6.0L!!

This is not a vendor friendly post fwiw. Just stating the facts. With that said I have seen more than I can count 7.3L that work over the road surpass 500k miles with very few issues. Standard transmissions. Just the usual maintenance.

As far as comparison... just take an overall look at the two trucks side by side. I can stop my current truck with one brake caliper to all 4 of yours! Lol. (Kidding)

superpsd

Reaction score
I love my obs. But I do get a little jealous when I have driven the newer superduty trucks and climb back into the old 7.3 However if I am going to be up some logging roads 3+ hours from the main turnoff that is still hours from civilization I still would choose the 7.3 for the piece of mind. I mean any truck can break down just seems like there's so much more that can fail on a newer CR truck. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

sootie

Reaction score
the hilarious part is that most of the diehard 7.3 guys haven't used a tuned 6.7 at all and keep blathering on about sensors/simplicity/fix anywhere/reliability rhetoric that, in the main, doesn't even apply...

LOL almost as good as an injector or hpop thread!

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Your driving a hybrid common rain truck. Much more going on with a heui than a common rail.

CR is like pressure .... squirt....

HEUI is like pressure.... think... scavenge... push.... squeeze.... squirt.... (kinda)

Lol...

I too would have a hard time putting a new truck in the places you guys are going... totally understand.

m j

Reaction score
6.7 is too new to know if it is reliable.
has anyone made some power with one yet?
CR is like 'OMG a dust particle', HEUI is like 'didnt notice'

sootie

Reaction score
6.7 is too new to know if it is reliable.
has anyone made some power with one yet?
CR is like 'OMG a dust particle', HEUI is like 'didnt notice'

the first 6.7's came out in August 2010. Aside from the 11-14 turbos, shifting TSB, the cracking valves on the job 1 and some select water in fuel stories, what are you seeing?

Four years is plenty long enough to see what works and what doesn't-heck 6.0/6.4's were failing in their first year of production...

Never mind the creature comforts, out of the box power, suspension, braking, safety features etc etc

i know it's cool to be passionate about what you love but please, let's be realistic

Oh and power? Morgan has been pushing his pretty hard with good results...MFI race truck clicking off insane 1/4 mile times...Lots and lots of turbo options out there now...

A 6.7 plus tunes and a turbo kit is more power than most would ever dream of making with a 7.3 and can still tow fine with no reliability issues.

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
6.7's have been rolling around since late '10, and several people have put a lot of miles on them, and have made more good power to boot. Arguing pro 7.3 is like arguing in favor of having a small pecker. Or hatred for something you can't afford

superpsd

Reaction score
I can afford one...well a high 200 plus mileage one but I choose to wait the prices on the 6.7s keep dropping. I have found a few high mileage 6.7s close by to be on par with a 7.3 of similar condition/miles. Ford's also still getting all the bugs shaken out of the scorpion. I hope to buy a 6.7 and park it next to the 7.3 someday

psduser1

Reaction score
6.7's have been rolling around since late '10, and several people have put a lot of miles on them, and have made more good power to boot. Arguing pro 7.3 is like arguing in favor of having a small pecker. Or hatred for something you can't afford

This is relevant. Only difference is price.

Jomax

Reaction score
Only reason I don't own a 6.7 is I can't beat up a new truck... I'd cry every time. That and I picked up my 7.3 for 6k. With an 2005 axle swap lol.

Latest posts

Members online