Built 5r110 issues

300000 and counting

Reaction score
I have a 5r110 that was built by Rudys and is good for 1000hp, it has an RCD Converter. The issue I'm having is only when I'm 100% on the truck from first gear, the truck shifts fine until 4th gear, when the truck is shifting into 4th it free rev to about 3500 rpms before shifting and then locks the TQ hard. After that the truck will not shift out of 4 gear unless I put it in reverse and back up a little, then put it into drive. The truck has no codes and the transmission temp is normal. The fluid is also full, does anybody know what is causing this?

Zmann

Reaction score
no flashing OD light ?

still that should have a code IMO

do your tunes address the modified transmission ?

Hopefully Mark K is along soon and can tell us if the trans is protecting itself or what else it may be
but I know He will tell you to get the codes read by a real reader like an IDS

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
I was really talking about the tranny builder
Rudy's builder may have tune requirements ?

like NADP/NAPC requires you do not increase line pressure at all since the unit is modified internally and has increased line pressure

300000 and counting

Reaction score
I tried different tunes drove about 500 miles and its better then before, but I'm still having issues with it. Now instead of free reving the truck jumps/ hops a couple times before shifting into fourth and the TQ locks like normal. (again only when I'm on it 100% from a gear lower then 4th, it DD just fine.)

The direct solenoid in the truck is modified, do you guys think it would hurt to replace it with an OEM non modified one, or should I call Rudy's and get what's already in there.

Last edited:

beaslyb

Reaction score
Any reason you haven't contacted Rudy's about this? Unless I missed something, probably should take it easy until you get something figured out.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Any reason you haven't contacted Rudy's about this? Unless I missed something, probably should take it easy until you get something figured out.

I wanted to get some miles on the tunes new tunes to determined if that was the issue or not. I'm going to call tomorrow.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
I called Rudy's, they said they would have to tear into it to be able to properly diagnose it and they are 9 hours away from me. So I called Warren who built my old transmission, he said that he thinks it a Direct Drum issue, so I'm taking my truck up to Andy next week and he's going to fix it for me! Being that the transmission is most likely coming out would it be a good idea for me to get a DPC 13" TQ and ditch my RCD

sootie

Reaction score
i had the same issue with a modified dd solenoid do i put a stock one in and the issue went away. it was a 20 minute fix. Also what is wrong with your rcd converter? i had a 1600 stall one and it worked awesome...

Reaction score
I called Rudy's, they said they would have to tear into it to be able to properly diagnose it and they are 9 hours away from me. So I called Warren who built my old transmission, he said that he thinks it a Direct Drum issue, so I'm taking my truck up to Andy next week and he's going to fix it for me! Being that the transmission is most likely coming out would it be a good idea for me to get a DPC 13" TQ and ditch my RCD

Andy's Direct Drum is awesome. I'd put money that it has already bent the pressure plate. Most of the rebuild kits out there run a thinner pressure plate to get more clutches in the direct. Problem is that clutch pack gets so much pressure put to it that it will actually flex the pressure plate and lose the clamping force.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
i had the same issue with a modified dd solenoid do i put a stock one in and the issue went away. it was a 20 minute fix. Also what is wrong with your rcd converter? i had a 1600 stall one and it worked awesome...

Apparently nothing is wrong with the RCD, but if its smarter for me to have a DPC 13" now would be the time, I can have the RCD freshed up and sell it

beaslyb

Reaction score
I don't know what your goals are but, I don't see any reason to get rid of the RCD converter, I love mine it made a big difference in my truck.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
80A705C7-BB5A-4B83-8346-C22B98BFE71F_zps31oshs2d.jpg

Well just my luck, I got on the truck pretty good on the way home tonight and it seemed like 4 was slipping. When I got home I went to back into my spot and I have basicly no reverse, I guess I found out the bad news tomorrow when I take it to Warrens.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Andy's Direct Drum is awesome. I'd put money that it has already bent the pressure plate. Most of the rebuild kits out there run a thinner pressure plate to get more clutches in the direct. Problem is that clutch pack gets so much pressure put to it that it will actually flex the pressure plate and lose the clamping force.

That was some of the issue, they ended up rebuilding the whole transmission, the debre messed out the solenoids and pump so it all had to be replaced. I'm extremely happy with Warren they did an awesome job and went above and behond for me (even let me take his shop truck 2 hours back home). But I'm disappointed in Rudys, this transmission was used but I don't know how in the world and you market a tranny for 1000hp when in fails after 20,000 miles at 800hp.

Latest posts

Members online