Bulletproof Oil Cooler COLD KIT

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Installing a bulletproof oil cooler kit into an 04 6.0 that I am installing a reman engine in. Bought a bulletproof cooler kit from another member here that he did not use. I am in MN and curious if I need to order the cold weather part of the kit also or if I can cover the cooler during the winter and get the same basic results..... I am about ready to drop the engine in and button it up. They get about $350 for the cold weather part of the kit, no big deal. But curious if it is absolutely necessary or if I can make due without. Maybe a clod front style thing for it during the winter??? Thoughts???

windrunner408

Reaction score
I would recommend getting the cold weather kit and here's why. When the engine oil is cold, the cold weather kit will allow the oil to bypass the cooler until it is warmed up (this I am sure you know). This does two things: 1. It allows the oil to heat up quicker and 2. It doesn't restrict the engine to oil flow. I know when I ran my kit without the cold weather kit and the temp dropped below 30F, it took a few seconds for the oil pressure dummy switch to read normal after I started the truck (and it only needs 7psi of pressure to read normal). So after I installed the CW kit, truck started up just like normal and guage read like normal. Hope this makes sense and helps.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
In your thinking the thicker oil when cold won't flow throught the cooler very efficiently??? Didn't really think of it that way. Good Point that makes sense.

windrunner408

Reaction score
In your thinking the thicker oil when cold won't flow throught the cooler very efficiently??? Didn't really think of it that way. Good Point that makes sense.

That's the only thing that makes sense as to why I was getting the "low pressure" warning on my dash without the cold weather kit and didn't get it with the cold weather kit. I also confirmed this with BPD and that is why they brought out the cold weather kit.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Got it installed. Now I bought a different truck.:doh: I don't think I can let it go with the truck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.