Burping cooling system

jordysoso

Reaction score
I'm going to make the switch to CAT ELC and have read topics and watched videos regarding flushing the old coolant out, but when it comes to refilling I haven't found much. I've watched videos that people fill up the system by filling the overflow and allowing the vacuum of the system to pull the fluid through, then driving and refilling as needed. I've also seen people use vacuum fillers that go over the opening in the overflow bottle. Which is better, causes less damage to the system, and has the least risk of vapor lock?

Lipka101

Reaction score
The best is the airlift that pulls a vaccum on the system then you fill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
Airlift (or the like) and done
it's not to pricey and it's nice to work on a vehicle and fill the cooling system and be done
vs checking constantly for the first few days and even then a heavy pull can burp out air you had no idea was hiding

Zmann

Reaction score
it usually replaces the cap with a fitting on the ones I have done but it will have directions I don't think I have done one with both a cap and degas yet

Kxc

Reaction score
Don't panic if you start to see leaks after switching to ELC. It tends to find its way out but will also seal itself up in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kxc

Reaction score
Haha just a drip. Any organic acid technology (most elc) coolant will always find its way out. Even a brand new engine.

jordysoso

Reaction score
Haha ok cool. Any ideas on mix ratio? Our summers get up to 100 usually always humid and cool at night. Winters can have wind chill in negative double digits at times. I was thinking 60coolant/40water, if anyone has actual gallon or liter measurements of best mixture that will help too. Distilled or tap? Also, what's the best way to drain as much water from the system during flushes as possible, found a lot of different methods.

Kxc

Reaction score
50/50 is best , easiest and protects -35 to 264 F . Always use distilled water even to flush. Need to go for a ride to get it up to temp so the t stats open. Find a spot to drain the block as it will be full if you just use the radiator drain.

jordysoso

Reaction score
So it isn't necessary to pull the plugs out of the block? Can I open up the radiator drain with motor running and overflow full with distilled water constantly running thru the radiator to flush given I watch my temp gauge? Kind of like a constant flowing source of cool water getting pulled thru the motor

Kxc

Reaction score
I don't think that is necessary. I've drained and filled mine a few times and had no problems. Just fill it slow

jordysoso

Reaction score
Sorry, I was meaning that for the flush. Instead of filling the system, running it, and draining it multiple cycles before actually filling with coolant; motor running drain open with constant flow of distilled water running thru the system until everything draining runs clear

Kxc

Reaction score
You want to use a quality cooling system flush when switching coolant types, if you are picking up Cat ELC they make a quick flush too that's pretty cheap. Use it at 10% concentration and be sure to get it all out. If you have any oily residue in the system finish with cascade dishwasher detergent. It works great and gets the rest of the flush out well. Either way you will have to get some heat to it so the t stats open and you have flow across the radiator. Just putting a hose in the top and opening a drain doesn't really get the system clean.

Latest posts

Members online