Buy a used oil cooler?

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Doing some research before biting the bullet to buy a new oil cooler. It looks like some people are willing to sell used oil coolers for pretty cheap. Would this be a good option if i buy a rebuild kit and find a way to flush the cooler?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Are you talking about used "stock-style" oil to water coolers? Or a used bpd oil to air style?

If your talking air to oil, those coolers only see oil circulation, and there really shouldn't be any issues running a used one, id just do a little low pressure flush with some clean engine oil.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
the labor is more than the part.
I can get you one cheap enough that it is not worth taking a chance.

if replacing you need to flush with vc9 before taking it apart then install a coolant filter afterwards. otherwise the efforts are wasted

Fordguy100

Reaction score
I just sold my oil cooler housing/oil cooler to a guy for pretty cheap. He is putting a new oil cooler in the housing and having it ready to swap in when he does his.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Yea a brand new one for $225? Where?

Anyways, it was just a thought guys. Geeze. I didnt really want to run a used one, but its a lot cheaper than a brand new one. I thought maybe somehow bench flushing it would free up a lot of if not all the built up junk inside.

As far as labor goes, i am doing the work. I have the tools and knowledge, and actually enjoy the work.

Atsah

Reaction score
Buy a new one and start from scratch then you will know what you have, maintain the coolant and you will be good..

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Thats sort of where i am leaning. I have yet to put used parts on the truck, so why start now i guess.

Power-struck, PM sent.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Definitely not the part to even try it on, the oil cooler is basically the heart of the 6.0. There have been a few guys who have done full flushes front to back with reverse flow etc to try and clean those coolers up, everyone I've read about to date, the symptoms came back in a short amount of time. (high delta's). Just not worth the risk for an extra $275.

Zmann

Reaction score

Attachments

• BW_youre_cheap_bastard.gif
    BW_youre_cheap_bastard.gif
    7 KB · Views: 51

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Yes zmann, yes i am. Hahhahaha.

Thats what i get for asking. Lol. I decided to buy a new one when i get back home. Thanks fellas. Cheap bastard, OUT!

Zmann

Reaction score
did u try our sponsor at Sunrise ford fontana EDIT NM it was a little more $

Last edited:

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. I found a decent deal on a new cooler that i will be picking up when i get back home next week.

Latest posts

Members online