Buying 05 6.0

Kent94

Reaction score
Hey guys as the title says I'm looking at buying a 2005 6.0 My brother has had 2 and didn't have many problems, but with that being said i know things can go south fairly quick with them. Its got 125K on it. All stock but has an intake. Guy said the head gaskets have never been done. He's only owned it for a year. My question is, is it possible that it really has never has the head gaskets done at 125k? He is asking $9500. Its a single cab xlt. Going to be a work truck/ daily driver. But I don't want to get myself into a headache. What do you guys think? Thanks

05stroker350

Reaction score
It's 100% the gaskets are still fine even with 125k. Some guys have 200k or 300k on stock gaskets. It's really hit and miss. I would still check for leaking around the degas cap and have someone run a contribution test on it if possible.

Kent94

Reaction score
It's 100% the gaskets are still fine even with 125k. Some guys have 200k or 300k on stock gaskets. It's really hit and miss. I would still check for leaking around the degas cap and have someone run a contribution test on it if possible.

But what about reliability having them never done? Also I know when they are on their way out there is white residue around the cap. But any other ways of telling?

sootie

Reaction score
if its a 4x4 auto in decent shape i would buy it for that price regardless of head gaskets

05stroker350

Reaction score
But what about reliability having them never done? Also I know when they are on their way out there is white residue around the cap. But any other ways of telling?

Do you plan on having a tune on the truck or running it hard very often? A lot of 6.0's that are just some 50 yr old's DD and have never had any problems driving them casually and pulling with them occasionally. If you don't have any big plans, I'd say you're fine, but it's always best to just stud and delete it if you have the dough.

When my gaskets went, I could hear a slight whistle from the degas cap, almost sounded like a tea kettle pot. Also, if EOT and ECT are 20+ degrees apart, that can be a sign gaskets are shot as well.

Kent94

Reaction score
Do you plan on having a tune on the truck or running it hard very often? A lot of 6.0's that are just some 50 yr old's DD and have never had any problems driving them casually and pulling with them occasionally. If you don't have any big plans, I'd say you're fine, but it's always best to just stud and delete it if you have the dough.

When my gaskets went, I could hear a slight whistle from the degas cap, almost sounded like a tea kettle pot. Also, if EOT and ECT are 20+ degrees apart, that can be a sign gaskets are shot as well.

I will put an exhaust on it and thats it. I want to keep it as stock as possible. But also might do egr delete. I have my 6.4 to go fast lol. But looking of more of a work truck to do some towing and keep my 6.4 out of the salt. New england winters suck.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
That's cheap! I'd buy it. Gaskets could be bad and you fix them and could still come out ahead selling it. With those miles I wouldn't be scared, especially if you think you could work on it if something were to happen. Overall I think it's a good decision. Any chance this truck is red? Saw one online the other day for this price. Think it was 05

Kent94

Reaction score
That's cheap! I'd buy it. Gaskets could be bad and you fix them and could still come out ahead selling it. With those miles I wouldn't be scared, especially if you think you could work on it if something were to happen. Overall I think it's a good decision. Any chance this truck is red? Saw one online the other day for this price. Think it was 05

Its black. Going to see it tomorrow. Its got a new bed that needs to be color matched but the cross members under the bed are rusty. frame has surface rust but never been plowed with.

Atsah

Reaction score
I drove mine like an old man and it didn't like it, my brother's 05 has a Bulletproof cooler and that's it, he drives it everyday and pulls a mini excavator four days a week with it and has had no problems at all.. He now has 260K on it and still going strong.. IMO doing the delete will be fine if your not going to add power to it, stock 6.0's like work just not abuse.. The square EGR cooler and the valve on the 05 needs to go no matter what..

Last edited:

05stroker350

Reaction score
I drove mine like an old man and it didn't like it, my brother's 05 has a Bulletproof cooler and that's it, he drives it everyday and pulls a mini excavator four days a week with it and has had no problems at all.. He now has 260K on it and still going strong.. IMO doing the delete will be fine if your not going to add power to it, stock 6.0's like work just not abuse.. The square EGR cooler and the valve on the 05 needs to go no matter what..

This. 6.0's like to be worked. Gotta get on it pretty often and clean those cobwebs out and they stay happy.

Delete it, drive it like anyone else would, perform regular maintenance, and you should be fine.

Kent94

Reaction score
Took a look at the truck tonight. Bed cross members are rusty pretty good. Underneath was all dry. There was alittle white residue around degas bottle cap. Which leads me to believe head gaskets are probaly on their way out. It started good no smoke but cranked over slow like battery's were low on juice. Took it for a ride shifted good and drove fine. He is asking 9500$ I was thinking of offering 8. I doubt he will take it but I don't think I'll go over 8500$. Being that the head gaskets might need to be done soon. What's a job like that typically cost? I was also thinking about doing it myself with help from one of my buddy's whose a mechanic I woild have to do cab on tho. What's your guys opinion

05stroker350

Reaction score
It's a long job. To stud it, delete it, blue spring, OEM gaskets, banjo bolts, and all the other things, it will probably run around $3500-$4000. Plus the heads have to be checked and decked properly to prevent the gaskets from going again.

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
This. 6.0's like to be worked. Gotta get on it pretty often and clean those cobwebs out and they stay happy.

Delete it, drive it like anyone else would, perform regular maintenance, and you should be fine.

Not questioning your knowledge but why do you say get on them every now and then. I mean I know gotta clean everything out and what not but is flooring it the answer.

Atsah

Reaction score
why do you say get on them every now and then. I mean I know gotta clean everything out and what not but is flooring it the answer.

On a stock truck, pretty much ya, it is the answer for keeping the soot buildup to a minimum and keeping the vanes from sticking.. If the truck is being used for work, (towing etc) the owner is probably laying into enough on a daily basis to keep everything clean and that's the reason why most 6.0's that work everyday run better than the ones that don't..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.