Cab Light Install??

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
Bought a set of recon can lights for my truck. I purchased my truck with our cab light and won't do that again so I got the full kit from recon.

Does anyone have a template or know where I can find a template since recon doesn't send a paper one with the kit

TripleE44

Reaction score
I used this when I installed mine. It's the original version of what recon includes. The recon one says something is in the passenger side kick panel but it isn't on the 08. I'm a little rusty cause it's been a while. I ended up wiring mine into the headlight/foglight switch. I think I found somewhere where someone made a template, but its really not too hard to measure from the side then the front and make a mark. Just measure 5x.

moose99psd

Reaction score
its a pain in the F*$king ass to measure these trucks, the roofs suckkk to meaure i literally measured about 10 times and had a buddy there that helped and he looked and measure and looked and measured.. its not a fun job i will tell you that.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I used this when I installed mine. It's the original version of what recon includes. The recon one says something is in the passenger side kick panel but it isn't on the 08. I'm a little rusty cause it's been a while. I ended up wiring mine into the headlight/foglight switch. I think I found somewhere where someone made a template, but its really not too hard to measure from the side then the front and make a mark. Just measure 5x.

:whs:

AKHILF

Reaction score
Id cut a piece of string the length of the roof then measure that. It will shape to your roof then just put it across the truck and mark each spot with a sharpie and go to town. Im in a different boat then all of you though. Im glad mine didnt come with them and would hate drilling holes in the roof haha. Now a sunroof i wouldnt mind. Good luck

TripleE44

Reaction score
Id cut a piece of string the length of the roof then measure that. It will shape to your roof then just put it across the truck and mark each spot with a sharpie and go to town. Im in a different boat then all of you though. Im glad mine didnt come with them and would hate drilling holes in the roof haha. Now a sunroof i wouldnt mind. Good luck

If you did this you'd put the lights in a straight line. From the factory they come in a curved line that follows the top of the windshield.

AKHILF

Reaction score
Who said anything about a straight line? I know how cab lights are. Put you string up there, figure out were you want the first one on the drivers or passenger side put a piece of tape on that to hold it there and then let the string droop to get your curve. Its not hard to get it to hold your contour. That way you can see where the cab lights will be before you start drilling holes. Once you find the contour you think looks right and measure a few times drill your holes. Sorry I didnt go in depth more.

chappy

Reaction score
I thought it was really easy besides me only being 5'10 and short arms so stuff was hard to reach. All you have to do is find the center and work out from there. No one would notice if they are off a little bit even if you did screw up. I ran a string line from the middle dip in the hood to the middle of the third brake light and marked it. Then just worked out from there. Se the bases on and mark the holes and drill them. Use masking tape to help with paint chipping in areas you plan to drill. I would be willing to help if anyone was around here. I've installed 3 sets so far. Here are the instructions recon stole from someone else and send to you. There lights aren't even the same so don't know why they give you these.
http://www.emotoman.com/f250/lights/f250lights.htm

Next came the very important part... measuring! Just trying to find center on the weird shaped roof was a challenge. Once the center was determined we used the following measurements:

All lights 5.5" from windshield rubber to center of plug hole of light. (7/8" hole)

The lights on either side of center are 8" to hole center

The next lights out are 13" to hole centers.

| Ộ ----- 13"----- Ộ --8"-- Ộ --8"-- Ộ ----- 13" -----Ộ |

Last edited:

jr1993

Reaction score

:whs: also if you can find a buddy or if you have another truck with cab lights take measurements off the other, thats what i did.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I thought it was really easy besides me only being 5'10 and short arms so stuff was hard to reach. All you have to do is find the center and work out from there. No one would notice if they are off a little bit even if you did screw up. I ran a string line from the middle dip in the hood to the middle of the third brake light and marked it. Then just worked out from there. Se the bases on and mark the holes and drill them. Use masking tape to help with paint chipping in areas you plan to drill. I would be willing to help if anyone was around here. I've installed 3 sets so far. Here are the instructions recon stole from someone else and send to you. There lights aren't even the same so don't know why they give you these.
http://www.emotoman.com/f250/lights/f250lights.htm

Next came the very important part... measuring! Just trying to find center on the weird shaped roof was a challenge. Once the center was determined we used the following measurements:

All lights 5.5" from windshield rubber to center of plug hole of light. (7/8" hole)

The lights on either side of center are 8" to hole center

The next lights out are 13" to hole centers.

| Ộ ----- 13"----- Ộ --8"-- Ộ --8"-- Ộ ----- 13" -----Ộ |

are you going to be at the GTG next weekend

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
Well I have talked my buddy with a 2012 into helping me and he has can lights so we will be using his truck as a template

Thanks for all the good info guys

moose99psd

Reaction score
as far as the wire being on the passenger kick panel mine was there but it was in the plug that went up to the overhead display, i had to find it and cut it out of the backside of the plug. not sure if the new new trucks are the same but i imagine that they are.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Good luck i am probably going to try and tackle mine tonight. will the wiper cowl be strong enough to hold 280lbs? im unsure of how to approach the whole mounting process having a lifted truck and being 5'10" lol

moose99psd

Reaction score
Good luck i am probably going to try and tackle mine tonight. will the wiper cowl be strong enough to hold 280lbs? im unsure of how to approach the whole mounting process having a lifted truck and being 5'10" lol

im shorter and weigh as much, it was a task lol. i stood on the edge of the hood and across the cowl. it was fine, i tried to keep my weight on the edge of the hood as its metal and the cowl is plastic.

moose99psd

Reaction score
alright lol. im going to try and grow the balls to cut into my roof tonight :lookaround:

it really isnt bad at all. i used a unibit because it doesnt cut like a standard drillbit does, and the chamfers the top of the hole for you. dont use the screws they gave you they are junk. i went down and got some self tapping screws, biggest ones that would fit into the housing to get more grip on the thin sheet metal roof. id also get some clear silicone and silicone the bottom of the base to the roof for added water protection. a wet headliner is 0 fun. use a tiny drillbit to mark your holes for youre screws and then remove the light and drill and run the screw in prior to installing finally. worked best for me.

Latest posts

Members online