Cab swap gas to diesel

stevv

Reaction score
I got a 95 Powerstroke that rolled over on its top. I was wondering if you can use a cab from a f150 gas truck. I got a free cab that's mint off of a 95 f150. Has anybody done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blaze42069

Reaction score
I got a 95 Powerstroke that rolled over on its top. I was wondering if you can use a cab from a f150 gas truck. I got a free cab that's mint off of a 95 f150. Has anybody done this?

No, they are not the same, but will work, the diesel cab firewall is different around the lower firewall above the transmission hump. I used a gas crew cab in my hybrid conversion. It will work you just need a hammer. Or a 3" bodylift like I had to do to get the CC to clear the regular cab frame.

Strokersace

Reaction score

I'm my experience, they're the same. I've done 2 gas to diesel swaps now. 1, they were both crew cabs. The other they were both supercabs bit that swap was using an f150 cab. Everything was the same except that the f150 cab didn't have the removable transmission tunnel cover. So I had to cut it out and transfer the f250 one over.

Also, be aware that the diesel firewall has factory sound deadening on the inside where the gas does not. On my 1st swap I just put the heat shielding on the outside but neglected to check the inside of the firewall sheetmetal. That was a LOUD sob for years. The supercab f150/f250 swap, I pulled everything off the inside firewall and lined it and the front floor with sound deadening. Made a world of difference.

stevv

Reaction score
No, they are not the same, but will work, the diesel cab firewall is different around the lower firewall above the transmission hump. I used a gas crew cab in my hybrid conversion. It will work you just need a hammer. Or a 3" bodylift like I had to do to get the CC to clear the regular cab frame.

What didn't the cab clear?

stevv

Reaction score
I'm my experience, they're the same. I've done 2 gas to diesel swaps now. 1, they were both crew cabs. The other they were both supercabs bit that swap was using an f150 cab. Everything was the same except that the f150 cab didn't have the removable transmission tunnel cover. So I had to cut it out and transfer the f250 one over.

Also, be aware that the diesel firewall has factory sound deadening on the inside where the gas does not. On my 1st swap I just put the heat shielding on the outside but neglected to check the inside of the firewall sheetmetal. That was a LOUD sob for years. The supercab f150/f250 swap, I pulled everything off the inside firewall and lined it and the front floor with sound deadening. Made a world of difference.

Good to know I was gonna sound proof the inside also

blaze42069

Reaction score
What didn't the cab clear?

I was hitting on drivers side uppipe. I used a 92 gas CC on a 97 chassis where there was no powerstroke around 92. Maybe when the 94's came out they changed the firewall, but I know the 92 gas cabs are different than the 97 diesels and need work to clear.
Honestly just climb under your truck with a tape and measure the width of the opening then you know for sure.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Both of my cabs were 92's. One went on a 95 chassis with powerstroke, the other on a 94.5 powerstroke chassis. Maybe I got lucky or clearanced the cab enough before it was installed. Never had an issue.

There is zero diff in cabs 92 to. 97.

stevv

Reaction score
Both of my cabs were 92's. One went on a 95 chassis with powerstroke, the other on a 94.5 powerstroke chassis. Maybe I got lucky or clearanced the cab enough before it was installed. Never had an issue.

There is zero diff in cabs 92 to. 97.

How was swapping dashes. And what did ya do about the vin?

Strokersace

Reaction score
How was swapping dashes. And what did ya do about the vin?

The dash on the OBS is super easy. Bolts up to by windshield, few bolts on firewall, pass side, and around the steering column support. Just unplug all wiring. There will be some things like the blend door cable and antenna cable that will come loose after you pull it off the firewall. Takes patients but its not bad at all.

As for vin's, both mine were titled as 92's since the wrecked PSDs didn't have clean titles. If you have clean title and want to use the PSD vin, you'll have to swap vin plates on firewall.

stevv

Reaction score
The dash on the OBS is super easy. Bolts up to by windshield, few bolts on firewall, pass side, and around the steering column support. Just unplug all wiring. There will be some things like the blend door cable and antenna cable that will come loose after you pull it off the firewall. Takes patients but its not bad at all.

As for vin's, both mine were titled as 92's since the wrecked PSDs didn't have clean titles. If you have clean title and want to use the PSD vin, you'll have to swap vin plates on firewall.

Thanks for the info!! The crappy part is my cab ain't that bad dent wise it leans to the right or else I woulda just did body work.

m j

Reaction score
were new body mounts involved in the swap with clearance issues?
I did poly mounts and I gained room when I did my turbo swap.
prior to cab mounts the s468 was contacting the fire wall a bit, after it had zero contact

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Gage cluster, possibly steering column and harness.

It may be easier to swap the entire dash though, I've never had any luck with that.

stevv

Reaction score
Gage cluster, possibly steering column and harness.

It may be easier to swap the entire dash though, I've never had any luck with that.

Well the good news is I got a complete dash sittin in my shop so hope it's as easy to swap as most people say

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.