Caltracs

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a set of caltracs for my truck. Does anybody have any experience with them and how well they work vs traction bars?

TARM

Reaction score
I know of a few guys running them and they seem to be happy. One guy tows heavy all the time. Not sure if its just heavy or if its actually HEAVY!! But he tows some good size loads

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Can you run these on a dually? I have heard some people say they won't work. Everyone I have heard of that runs them really likes them

Last edited:

AllanB

Reaction score
This will be my next upgrade, coming next month. I asked about these a while back and got several opinions. Most people say they are great for traction, and several people say thay are great for traction but do nothing for axle wrap. But I see on Calvert Racing's web site, they say that they do help prevent axle wrap. But it will be nect month before I can speak from experience. Just passing on what I have read about them. If you get a set soon, be sure to catch your post up and let us know how you like them. Good Luck

BDP Tuner

Reaction score
I have them on my Ford and the MAX and I love them. I DD the trucks and tow with them everything works GREAT!

Oh and they will work on a dually.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
What are you guys running for preload? My only issue is they can be kind of noisy. Other than that they work. If money was a non issue I'd choose my OUO's over anything. But you can't beat the price of the Caltracs.

AllanB

Reaction score
What are you guys running for preload? My only issue is they can be kind of noisy. Other than that they work. If money was a non issue I'd choose my OUO's over anything. But you can't beat the price of the Caltracs.

If you are thinking about OUO's. I might be wrong but I believe they just came out with a cheaper version. I believe it was posted on this site about it. Just thought I would let ya know, in case that is the direction you were wanting to go.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I already have A OUO setup on my '02. Your talking about PMF I believe.

I have experience with installing and DDing other trucks with Caltracs. My work truck has them as well. I'm just saying IMO I would prefer some sort of traction bars instead but Caltracs do work great for the price.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I thought the whole point of Cal Tracs was to use the axle wrap to plant the rear?

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I thought the whole point of Cal Tracs was to use the axle wrap to plant the rear?
That's exactly how they work. You can actually feel them plant the tires and lift the back of the truck when they leverage themselves on the springs.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
They use axle wrap to control axle wrap.

You can actually feel them plant the tires and lift the back of the truck when they leverage themselves on the springs.

Stock trucks without Caltracs being brake boosted will do that too. That's axle wrap. Which you are still getting to a lesser extent with Caltracs. Traction bars will eliminate it all together.

AllanB

Reaction score
I already have A OUO setup on my '02. Your talking about PMF I believe.

I have experience with installing and DDing other trucks with Caltracs. My work truck has them as well. I'm just saying IMO I would prefer some sort of traction bars instead but Caltracs do work great for the price.

Yeah you are probably right on the PMF's. That is why I said I believe. I remembered someone advertisingba set, but really wasn't to sure who.

You say that Caltracs don't completely rid you of axle wrap. I have heard this on several occasions. But in your opinion do you think a good set of traction bars can be loaded to get traction as well as the Caltracs. Like I said, I have heard that Caltracs don't rid you of axle wrap. But I have also heard they are superb for traction. The main question is. Is there any trade off from Caltracs to an expensive set of traction bars, other than the price?

TARM

Reaction score
Yes there is. It would take a very long post to fully explain what goes into setting up traction bar/s for specific performance.

Latest posts

Members online