Camshaft Thinking.....

Straubtech

Reaction score
Camshaft is a mechanical part of the engine. At the end of the day whether we have gas and spark or diesel and compression all we are dealing with is an air compressor that runs in given rpm range. The CID, piston speed, induction and exhaust capabilities, and rpm range will dictate to the camshaft what they require to make power in the given rpm range. Adding boost will affect where the events happen. The amount of boost will not affect anything nor fuel. The cam will need to open the valve at a given point and shut the valve at a given point.....it does not care about how much fuel and boost you stuff in there. If you change piston speed it cares. If you change the flow capabilities it cares.

Now note on airflow. If you port heads the increase the ability of the head to flow air in and air out then the cam profile needs to be smaller. You just said to yourself..."What?". Think about it this way. If you are able to do something quicker isn't the end result less time to do it? What is cam duration? The time we hold the valve open. If you port the heads and increase airflow and you do not change the rpm range, piston speed, or displacement of the engine then the camshaft required will need to be smaller.

More to come....

Straubtech

Reaction score
I'll be at Rudy's Open House event tomorrow set up as a vendor. We will then go the motorsports park on Friday and set up for the event. Anyone wanting to discuss this stuff please stop by. I will be the short guy with gray hair.....sign of being in this industry for 27 years!!

matt92idi

Reaction score
I missed you at rudys man because I didn't know what tent you are at. I'd like to get a chance to talk with you about what my plans are for my build

Thanks
Matt

Straubtech

Reaction score
what was the point of this post supposed to be? Are you tryng to sell cams or.....?

In the performance industry I find it more important to educate the consumer on why we do things. Some listen some don't. When you do a cam change only to a diesel and keep everything the same including the tune and pick up an average of 90HP and 200#/ft of torque I feel it is good to educate.

Straubtech

Reaction score
In a boosted application to maximize power potential one must open the intake late...in or around TDC. Now the OEM cam does not do this. At this time I am exploring whether OEM core can be ground on the centerlines needed to be able to maximize power in both the 6.0 and 6.4. The stock centers along with the LSA of around 105 is no where near optimum. If you open the intake valve, especially one on a boosted application, to early then you have a column of air and fuel under pressure that is trying to fill the cylinder as the the piston is trying to reach TDC.

In a boosted application what you want to do is have the piston right at TDC and then open the intake valve blowing the piston down the cylinder. The timing of the IVO event in a boosted applications is, IMO, the most important event when it comes to these types of engines.

For the diesel world, especially the Fords since the valve events are so far off for performance, the act of blowing down the piston will help with turbo lag and the ability to build boost with single large chargers over compounds.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.