Can I tow with SCT performance tune?

Cantbuytime

Reaction score
I have an 08 F350 with 6.4.. All ******d with a SCT 3015R. Last weekend I towed 200 mile round trip on my custom Race tune 275 hp. Towing roughly 3000 lbs at most. Truck did great. Got 17 mpg. But in the morning I'm going on a 400 mile round trip and my father swears I should run the tow tune. But the canned tow suks. No power and 11.4 mpg.

My 3015r has these tunes for engine- Tow, Street, Performance, Race and my custom race. Trans tunes has Stock, Street, Performance,Race and dyno.

Can't I tow on Performance engine and trans without issue? Even when I tried the tow tune I still used performance trans tune. Or is this bad idea and just use tow engine and street trans?

Rubenk

Reaction score
Your right foot will have more to do with it being "safe" than the actual tune choice.

Do you have a monitor? If so, then its fine to run and just keep an eye on things.

Torque

Reaction score
I agree with Ruben. I would definitely keep an eye on your EGTs when towing on a hot tune and keep the cruise off when transiting up hills. Do you have studs or pistons?

Cantbuytime

Reaction score
Motor internals are bone stock. No monitor. It's on my need list. I'm gonna run the performance engine and trans. Just keep my foot out of it. I will regulate my self on hills. I don't ever let it hold hi boost for very long.

Cantbuytime

Reaction score
So are u saying the great fuel mileage could be bad because of the timing the tune is using to achieve that?

The canned race tune gives me 21mpg. Lie meter says 24 mpg.

Custom race gives 19 mpg.

Last edited:

ckrueg

Reaction score
I think overall cylinder pressure cracks pistons. And timing plays a huge roll in cylinder pressure. The problem is when advanced timing is used along with a lot of fuel and boost (like when towing) and low rpms, cylinder pressure can get out of control and crack pistons, bend rods and blow head gaskets. Also when towing you tend to have to hold high throttle longer which puts much more stress and heat on parts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

f350guy

Reaction score
Find a used Edge Insight CS, they are starting to become really inexpensive as people move on to the next, greatest monitor. I paid around $150 delivered for mine I think. You would be insane to drive around without one on a tuned truck.

The canned SCT tunes were terrible. Smoky, shifted poor, etc. Between your choices, I would run the stock files with the 'offroad' option selected as I THINK you can on that platform.

I am by no means the 'towing guy'. Just a guy that has towed with my truck before on a 'street' tune from one of the big players, rated to about 475rwhp and EGTs seemed to peak around 1250F as I recall on an onramp. It was more than sufficient for pulling around 10,000lbs. It is also very flat where I am located.

I seem to recall the big plus with the tow tunes, aside from less fuel and timing, is that they help the truck downshift into the next lowest gear easier, thus helping with EGT control by keeping the atmosphere turbocharger lit off. But that is probably wrong. LOL

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!

6.4f350

Reaction score
I think overall cylinder pressure cracks pistons. And timing plays a huge roll in cylinder pressure. The problem is when advanced timing is used along with a lot of fuel and boost (like when towing) and low rpms, cylinder pressure can get out of control and crack pistons, bend rods and blow head gaskets. Also when towing you tend to have to hold high throttle longer which puts much more stress and heat on parts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep.... Low RPM, high timing, and lots of fuel is a great combination of factors to break stuff. Cylinder pressure is through the roof.

Latest posts

Members online