CB Radios

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have one fused, 00 guage, hot wire coming into the cab that I use for power lol

1tonpower

Reaction score
cbmount.jpg

cbmount1.jpg

galaxy 949..running an enexspencive 5 foot whip for now

bakerc167

Reaction score
Lots of ways to do it. If I were wiring it, I would run a fused hot wire from the battery through a relay that's triggered by a keyed hot, then into your cb.

thats what I ended up doing minus the relay maybe ill go back an do that

Sniper32

Reaction score
Instead of messing with a relay its a lot easier to just run a fused wire to the ignition wire in the ignition harness on the steering column. But to each his own just offering upa different route

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Modded cobra 200gtl with 2 firestik 3 foot fiberglass 10 meter antennas (required as my radio is a ham 10 meter) and i didnt want an 8 foot steel antenna! Radio mounted over rear view mirror and firestiks mounted on door mirrors. Tapped directly into positive battery terminal

Last edited:

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Instead of messing with a relay its a lot easier to just run a fused wire to the ignition wire in the ignition harness on the steering column. But to each his own just offering upa different route

Of course its easier, that doesn't mean its the right way to do it. I don't like pulling any extra amps though a wire for something else, than the tiny bit it takes to energize a relay.

I run this fused terminal block, so nice for misc. add ons!
55.jpg

The terminal block is powered by this nice big "keyed hot" relay.
52.jpg

Alright, enough of my side tracking!:postwhore2:

Sniper32

Reaction score
I do like the idea of a add on fuse block, but runnin a regular cb off the ign harness wont pull enough to disturb anything. You run into problems when you throw multiple accessories on to the circuit

David S.

Reaction score
I tried to put mine there in my old OBS, but I guess I'm too damn big, my knees kept hitting it when I went to touch the gas

whitejohn

Reaction score
any truck stop swr meter will work just fine i think i payed about 20 bucks for mine at a pilot. the more important part is buying a good short (18"ish) coax cable for the meter.

as for the midland they are a good cb for your average guy but im not sure how much you can work them up once you need your cb to be bigger and badder just like everything else in the truck LOL

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I had a cobra 29, which fried on me, and then I bougt a 29 black chrome, and It would drain the battery on the truck real bad.... so I got rid of it....currently I am running a $20 midland, which is my favorite radio yet. 3' wilson with 5 foot of cable, the pass side whip is a dummy.

Oh and around here the thing to do is run them on the mirrors pointing forward.... I don't see that much anywhere else....

I dont have any good pics of my current truck on this comp, but its Identical to my IDI

Attachments

• DSC00993-1.jpg
    DSC00993-1.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 56

Jason

Reaction score
The running on the mirrors pointed forwards (atleast on big trucks), is for when you get running down the road the wind pushes them straight up, which is where your signal is best at. You don't want to run them more than about 18 degrees tilt to the front. Anything more than that will decrease your signal. I've got a Magnum S-680 I'm running currently, 80+ watts out of the box, and I've got a Stryker coiled antenna. I can run with a guy 3 miles behind me, with a bigger whip style on the back of his sleeper that says I fade in and out, and the guy 5 miles back with a mirror mount properly setup who can hear me just as strong as if he was behind me.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Mine are set at about 22* and point straight up when running down the highway. I am not super picky about having an awesome range, I use my cb for convoys, in town contact with buddies, etc.