CDL section?

Demon

Reaction score
It's not like that on Canada. Or at least in Calgary where I worked. Lots of HET's have commercial licenses, I have a class 1. Half the dealership I worked at had at least a class 3.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Lamont_24

Reaction score
One thing I will say that I've discovered over the years. You will find that most heavy truck mechanics don't have a CDL for a few reasons. Main reason is that they don't want to be sent out to drive for work or pick a truck up if they are short a driver. The other big reason is the responsibility's that come with having a CDL vrs a normal operator license. You will find at a lot of shops when they road test trucks they will wait until a free driver comes along & make them go drive for them. I'm not saying it's good/bad, just what you will find at most shops.

Most applications for a heavy truck shop I have seen say they want you to have a class A usually. But I'm mainly getting mine because I can drive for work and it will also open up possibilities down the road

Dieselgeek

Reaction score
I took a local job hauling fuel... Start my 5th week, going great thus far. Lots of training involved, but a stable job. We run 24/7/365, so I'll be working weekends for a few years, but it is what it is.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Well just passed the general knowledge test for my class a, just gotta get my air brakes and combo

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Well just passed the general knowledge test for my class a, just gotta get my air brakes and combo

That one was easier for me... The air brakes ruined me... re took that one a few times.... LOL The combo questions didnt bother me so much, but in FL they are combined. I told them that I am not running air brakes, so they told me that I would not need to test on them. Well, 6 of the first 10 were air brake questions... FAIL.... So I asked them what that was all about, and the examiners had no clue what I was getting at... So I went home and studied air brakes, for the NON air brake test.... LOL

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Here we can take the test twice per day, I got outta work and went right up there and took it.... failed it. Almost said f*** it and went home but took it again, glad I did.

duddy

Reaction score
Ha, I guess being the mechanic screwed me, I failed the general knowledge and passed everything else the first time.:poke:

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Passed air brakes today, tomorrow going back to do combination then all I will have to do is get my medical card and I'll have my permit.

Latest posts

Members online