Change of Exhaust Smell

Krause

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is a long shot, but wondering if someone may have experience with it.

Have a 1996 OBS, bought the truck in 2005. Im sure most of you understand when I try to describe the smell of diesel exhaust as sweet, almost pleasant. My truck had this smell when I first bought it. Since then its been through every scenario a dumb first time owner can be found in, I have learned, we all have learned.

Fast forward to 2016, and the truck doesnt have that nice smell of diesel exhaust anymore. It is much more harsh, is not 'sweet' at all, it actually burns in your nose a bit when you back into garage and have to hang out with it for a couple mins. It has bothered me, but the truck runs great still. I thought it may have something to do with the ULSD, until I walked by some older 7.3 ambulances some time ago and was reminded how nice my truck used to be...

Im bringing this up now because something has changed with the weather being colder. When the truck first fires up in the AM on particularly cold mornings, it smells like it used to, the nice smell of diesel. Once the truck has warmed up and I reach work, back to the harshness again. Does not do this until it gets fairly cold, below freezing. Anyone have experience with this before?

-Krause

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Funny you bring this up because mine smells bad until it gets hot and even then it will burn your nose. My smells well like lighter fluid on charcoal being burned it's weird but man its horrible to stand by the exhaust when it's cold it's the worst. I figured mine was from tuning because it didn't do it when I first got the truck and it was all stock.

Maybe we are experiencing a change in fuel.

Latest posts

Members online