Changed injectors, now SES

Dschack

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Last night/this morning I installed beans 160/stock sticks in my 2001 7.3. It's tuned via 6 position and custom tunes from TSD here in San Antonio. I now have an SES light that comes on when I accelerate or cruise but goes off if I coast. Any ideas? Trying to find a scanner, TSD can't run diagnostics on it till next week and I work in the oilfield

Dschack

Reaction score
Yeah it runs great, smooth idle and power is fantastic. TSD said possibly sticky IPR, I didn't fill the fuel rails after I changed injectors, would this be an issue?

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Do you have gauges? What's your boost doing? I know after I did my 160's but before my D66 I'd peg the boost gauge at 22lbs and the truck would defuel and give me a cel for a couple of minutes after a hard run. Just a thought

Last edited:

Dschack

Reaction score
I don't have gauges yet, that'll be in the next week or two. It doesn't feel like its defueling, its running great, just this damn ses light... I did look and it was 3 quarts low! Filled it back up but it's still there. Goes off when I coast, on under accel

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I don't have gauges yet, that'll be in the next week or two. It doesn't feel like its defueling, its running great, just this damn ses light... I did look and it was 3 quarts low! Filled it back up but it's still there. Goes off when I coast, on under accel

In all honesty I never really felt mine defuel either but I was told that was what happened when it set the ses. Maybe your tunes account for it already, but I installed a boost fooler and problem solved.

hopefully someone chimes in and helps you out.. i'm a noob when it comes to powerstrokes, and don't have much useful advice.. sorry!

TARM

Reaction score
IMO if you had a sticky IPR you would have performance issues you would notice but I could be wrong. If it was a boost it would not be happening when cruising only on very hard runs. The only real way to be sure is you need to get a code reader I would recommend Auto Enginuity. A Scan Gauge would also work as well.

The first thing you should always have before any performance upgrades of any significance is a set of gauges. EGT, Tran Temp, Boost are the golden three to start with.

Not filling the fuel rails has nothing to do with the IPR (its the valve that controls HPOP Oil pressure) and they are filled automatically anyways. The oil rails are filled automatically by the HPOP as well. First the HPOP res then the rails. Not filling them only adds to crank time to get it first started and may add to the time it takes to get good smooth idle and easy starts.

Did you get the tunes as well at the same time as the injectors?

Does it do the same thing is all the tunes if you have more than one?

What did you have before the injectors for tunes if any?

My guess would be the tunes trying to take full advantage of the injectors are calling for ( injectors are using) more HPOP oil than the weak old stock HPOP can muster. The SES light is likely a Low ICP code P1211 (Confirm with a scanner first.) This is where hybrids shine for a given nozzle size but that point is moot now as you do not have them. Changes in the tuning can help mitigate some of it but the real answer is to upgrade your HPOP. A Stealth SRP1.1 or a Adrenaline will get you the oil flow you need. The latter being the more budget friendly of the two. You should notice better throttle response and stronger top end.

But first you have to confirm the issue with a code reader/scanner software

Last edited:

Chris

Reaction score
His ses light is on constant, even at idle. We did not have time to datalog it today unfortuneately. Ive had iprs get sticky at certain points and keep the icp higher than desired when just cruising or idling. Its like the ipr cant open past a certain point to bypass enough at low oil demands the get the pressure down to what it wants, but when you give it gas the desired and actual icp pressures get closer. The light was on with a stock ecm, or the chip.

Bring it by next week, im here late most nights so if we need to work around your schedule let me know. For the light to flicker like it does its most likely going to be somethign icp related.

Dschack

Reaction score
I had the tunes put on after I installed the injectors, drove approx 30 miles to get it tuned and it was throwing the code even before the tunes. I know my best bet is to get a scanner on here and see what the code is, if it is the hpop then I'll be upgrading soon, and yes it does it on all of my tunes. No issues beforehand with the split shots

TARM

Reaction score
Scratch what I said. I thought the light was coming on from only during certain use. Sounds like they got you handled. Pulling the IPR clean it up or just replace it.

Dschack

Reaction score
Ok good deal Chris! I don't really know my schedule day to day (oilfield is kinda erratic) but I'll call you when I know I can be there before 5

Edit: in the meantime ill pull the IPR and clean it and see what that does

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had the tunes put on after I installed the injectors, drove approx 30 miles to get it tuned and it was throwing the code even before the tunes. I know my best bet is to get a scanner on here and see what the code is, if it is the hpop then I'll be upgrading soon, and yes it does it on all of my tunes. No issues beforehand with the split shots

If you don't plan to run bigger nozzles or larger injectors you can get a stock hpop. I wouldn't, but it will run those injectors. I ran stage II s on a new stock pump and it was fine until WOT. Your pocketbook will dictate what hpop you ultimately use. 450-3000$ is the gamut of prices. I'd go for an srp1.1 personally.

Dschack

Reaction score
I know I'm reviving a dead thread here but I have yet to solve this SES light issue. TSD put it on their scanner and said either the IPR or ICP was bad, replaced both + the ICP pigtail and still have the damn light. Going to get it put back on the scanner this week but if you have any ideas I'd sure appreciate it

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Unplug the ICP sensor.

Doubt its ICP volume related, your 160's use less HPO then the stock injectors do.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Something I just thought of...

My wifes Excursion has a Pickup PCM and wire harness... If I clear the codes and drive it, it will get a SES light. Pull the chip, start it, turn it off and reinstall the chip and you will not get the light again until someone pulled the chip.

Might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Members online