Checking injectors

Copracr

Reaction score
Does anyone know a link to info on rebuilding or at least checking used injectors? I understand people used to do it but there's no info out there on what they were doing (that I can find anyways).

I have a set of AD/AE's that come from who knows where and I'd like to take them apart, clean, and inspect to see if they're any good. And if they need anything are there parts available to repair them?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Also, is there any way to have an HPOP tested? I have one from the same place as my injectors so its a 17 degree and it sounds like it would be a good upgrade to my 15 degree unit.

Last edited:

Copracr

Reaction score
Thanks, thats a good article on armture clearance. Anything about tearing into the body of the injector out there?

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Honestly, just looking at the parts and checking for clearance wont mean much if they dont flow right....

Copracr

Reaction score
I'll have to take your word on it cause I don't even know what the inside of an injector looks like.

Why would I not do a rebuild? It seems there have been many failed attempts to DIY them, but there have also been some successes? I want to be a success (just like my mom always said I could )

I don't need super tight tolerances. I run an 80 hp eco tune and a mostly stock engine. Right now I think I have one AB injector that's broke, and it seems like it wouldnt be worth it to replace one. And I haven't got the money for a full set for at least the next couple months. just put an engine in it, and rebuilt the trans myself last year but that was still 2 grand. I think if I tell my wife I need to drop another grand on it she might be a little ... disappointed. So, any rebuild advice?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
not much you would be able to do inside of the injector on your own except replace a spring and replace orings, if it is worn below tolerance you need to get it machined, if so cantact jim @ rosewood and he will fix ya up

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
So you did a good job at rebuilding them.... but if they dont flow right then you wont be able to have it tuned right...

Copracr

Reaction score
not much you would be able to do inside of the injector on your own except replace a spring and replace orings, if it is worn below tolerance you need to get it machined, if so cantact jim @ rosewood and he will fix ya up

Can i find out they're worn below tolerance before installing them? It would be nice to see if they're full of metal shavings or other nastiness.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
take the 4 torx bolts off the top of the injector, remove the coil, get a 0.0015" feeler gauge and if it won't fit then it is worn out!

Attachments

• thCAXQNDN1.jpg
    thCAXQNDN1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 47

mandkole

Reaction score
x2 contact Jim... but ask yourself, what will I get from this? If your expectations are low and you just want to look around in them, thats fine. 'Checking' them is not a simple DIY process.

I rebuilt (more like R&R'd) a set a few years ago with one of Jim's DIY kits and had a local shop run them on the bench. 3 of the 8 had broken nozzle springs and eventually got them within 1-2cc after swapping take off nozzles, etc (the shop spent far more time with me than I paid for). I still have the vice clamp to hold the body for removal and all of the instructions. Between Jim's help and the local shop, I learned a ton but would not do it again. Although they 'flowed' ok, and feeler gauge'd ok, they just never 'ran' good likely due to the worn oil side. I bought new ACs from the local shop and was immediately pleased with the much improved operation.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.