Clearing cylinders question.

GreenF350

Reaction score
I'm finishing up doing injectors (along with a few other supporting mods while I was under the valve covers) and am scared to death that I am going to miss something obvious and cause a failure. I just don't want any failure to be because of my stupidity SO, that being said.....I cleared what I could of the fuel/oil out of the cylinders and then cranked it over (by hand/ratchet on the dampner bolt) a handful of times with the glow plugs out and then buttoned it all up. Turned it over by hand a few more rotations just to make sure it didn't try and hydro lock. I know there is more pressure generated when it is cranked fast, but is it safe to say that since it turns over by hand easy enough that it will be fine when I go to crank and not bend a rod?

I'm probably just being a big wuss, but would like to hear from some people that have done this before to make sure I am good and get the warm fuzzy. Lol. Thanks!
-Aaron

dsberman94

Reaction score
youll be fine. mine even hit a hard spot that stalled out the starter on weak batteries but its fine and it worked through it. as said if you can turn over by hand with everything all back together youll be good. hit the key and enjoy your white smoke on first start.

GreenF350

Reaction score
Did you drain the oil rails before pulling the injectors?

Nope. Figured it was going to drain more fluid than I wanted in the cylinders that would need cleaned out either way so why open up another hole that might leak later. I just pulled the rear injectors first and worked forward.

youll be fine. mine even hit a hard spot that stalled out the starter on weak batteries but its fine and it worked through it. as said if you can turn over by hand with everything all back together youll be good. hit the key and enjoy your white smoke on first start.

This is more like what I wanted to hear. Guess when my valve cover gaskets and UVCH's get here I'll find out for sure. Sucks UPS is running behind. :fustrate:

dsberman94

Reaction score
Yea they're still running behind. I was supposed to receive stuff Friday. Looks like it should be here Tuesday now. Hopefully 6.4 parts should ship tomorrow and praying they'll be here by Saturday at the latest. Good luck with your startup. You should be fine.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Its a good idea to pull the two 1/8 allen plugs in each oil rail before injector removal. Itll keep some of the oil from going into your cylinders when you do pull the injectors

dsberman94

Reaction score
Its a good idea to pull the two 1/8 allen plugs in each oil rail before injector removal. Itll keep some of the oil from going into your cylinders when you do pull the injectors

The reason I didn't do this is because I could never find the exact hex size and I didn't want to strip them because they're only brass. Some guys said one size worked but others said that same size didn't so I just pulled the back injector on both sides first so almost all of the oil went into that one. Either way works and either way you still should turn the motor over by hand with the glow plugs out.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The reason I didn't do this is because I could never find the exact hex size and I didn't want to strip them because they're only brass. Some guys said one size worked but others said that same size didn't so I just pulled the back injector on both sides first so almost all of the oil went into that one. Either way works and either way you still should turn the motor over by hand with the glow plugs out.

It is absolutely a 1/8 inch allen. Ive seen them get completely stripped before from people over tightening them and even then, they arent hard to get out. Just get a 1/4" chisel and small hammer, and hammer them counter clockwise. Best advice I have it once you have the allen socket in the plugs, tap on it with a hammer, to make sure the allen is fully seated. This generally keeps from stripping them.

dsberman94

Reaction score
It is absolutely a 1/8 inch allen. Ive seen them get completely stripped before from people over tightening them and even then, they arent hard to get out. Just get a 1/4" chisel and small hammer, and hammer them counter clockwise. Best advice I have it once you have the allen socket in the plugs, tap on it with a hammer, to make sure the allen is fully seated. This generally keeps from stripping them.

good advice. thats the one thing i have yet to get is allen sockets. can't wait they come in handy.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I bought a long 1/8" 1/4" drive socket from our matco tool man at work that is perfect for the job. It has a very thick shank on it, where as the snap on ones ive seen are a 1/8th shank all the way back to the socket.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
i just pull the glowplugs, put the valve covers on by 2 or 3 bolts and hit the starter a couple quick times. gaurenteed to not hydrolock. if you do it by hand I feel its just not enough.

mandkole

Reaction score
Valve covers on, gps out , injectors unplugged and roll w the starter. Bolt them down as said or the pressure will push them off.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
i just pull the glowplugs, put the valve covers on by 2 or 3 bolts and hit the starter a couple quick times. gaurenteed to not hydrolock. if you do it by hand I feel its just not enough.

this.

Ive never pulled the plugs on the head. you will get oil in the cylinders period so weather its a cup or a quart , its still gotta come out.

I crank it by hand with the injectors in, glow plugs out, one revoloution. then crank with the starter for 10-15 seconds. throw it together and go to town I have also done it just by hand, it just takes a bit longer. its just your preference .

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
this.

Ive never pulled the plugs on the head. you will get oil in the cylinders period so weather its a cup or a quart , its still gotta come out.

I crank it by hand with the injectors in, glow plugs out, one revoloution. then crank with the starter for 10-15 seconds. throw it together and go to town I have also done it just by hand, it just takes a bit longer. its just your preference .

Does fuel get in with the oil when doing injectors? Do you change oil after as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Does fuel get in with the oil when doing injectors? Do you change oil after as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

i had to change oil because the o-rings that failed put fuel into the oil somehow. ever since i fixed the o-rings i haven't had the issue. i would change the oil because its just like changing a turbo. give the new parts fresh oil. just seems to make sense.

Latest posts

Members online