Coil springs... School me.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I have a 2wd 6.0 with a djm 3/5 as of current. I am looking to drop another few inches. What should I be looking for?

Strokersace

Reaction score
I'd guess the 2wd springs are like the 4x4 ones with different ratings for gas and diesel. I'd look at springs from a 5.4L gas 2wd truck. Like a 4800 or 4400lb spring, if there is such a thing on the 2wd. Pretty sure on the 4wd, they'll drop the front by an 1" to 1.5" without cutting coils.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I'd guess the 2wd springs are like the 4x4 ones with different ratings for gas and diesel. I'd look at springs from a 5.4L gas 2wd truck. Like a 4800 or 4400lb spring, if there is such a thing on the 2wd. Pretty sure on the 4wd, they'll drop the front by an 1" to 1.5" without cutting coils.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That is what I am ASSuming works. But I have no first-hand experience. How would a lighter spring affect my handling and ride quality as well?

HOOV3R

Reaction score
They're going to have a softer spring rate. So it will soften up the front some, which you probably will not want. Probably better off cutting yours.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
They're going to have a softer spring rate. So it will soften up the front some, which you probably will not want. Probably better off cutting yours.

I wish somebody had spring rate numbers to share. Cutting would increase my spring rate (which I am not entirely opposed to) But it would also be cool to know how much of a cut creates how much of a drop.

I am in the process of getting new wheels and tires, and also c-notching the rear and adding helper bags. I would really like to drop another 1.5-2" all the way around.

Latest posts

Members online