Cold weather prep?

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I will be moving to a area that gets much colder and a lot more snow than where I currently live I am relatively new to running a diesel in the winter.
It gets a lot of snow 0* average negatives frequently -5* to -30 at times I got 850cca@0* cold climate specific batteries.
I have heard of people mixing k1 and diesel to prevent gel good idea?
What is a good systems check or items that may be beneficial to prevent unnecessary wear or damage. It rarely gets to -10 where I live so I have no experience when it comes to this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Reaction score
I will be moving to a area that gets much colder and a lot more snow than where I currently live I am relatively new to running a diesel in the winter.
It gets a lot of snow 0* average negatives frequently -5* to -30 at times I got 850cca@0* cold climate specific batteries.
I have heard of people mixing k1 and diesel to prevent gel good idea?
What is a good systems check or items that may be beneficial to prevent unnecessary wear or damage. It rarely gets to -10 where I live so I have no experience when it comes to this.

A good synthetic makes a huge difference. That, and allowing it to warm up before you drive it hard.

Personally, unless you're planning larger injectors or lots of heavy towing, I think the 203* TS helps warm it up quicker too.

As long as your Glow Plugs/Harness/GPR are good, batteries are good, and starter is good, it shouldn't give you too many problems. Just give it an extra 30 seconds to a minute when the WTS light goes off.

I also run TW3 2-cycle oil with the White Bottle Power Service. (Grey in Summer) never had fuel gell up, even at -25*F.

Last edited:

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
It still has the oe starter I was going back and fourth on changing it. I was looking at the gear reduction version similar to what the 6.0s have from mean green my alt is new I need battery terminal connectors solder on ones or just get the same as I have now. If I do injectors I only plan on 160/stock-30 or 50% single shots max and supporting supply demand. I just need a new block heater cord in the front of the truck it is shot I do not want to pay for a specific name who ha I would rather make one if that is possible.
The other thing tranny fluid those are all synthetic iirc I may add some cold weather viscosity additive if it is safe for the tranny based on the the stuff that's in it currently.

ToMang07

Reaction score
It still has the oe starter I was going back and fourth on changing it. I was looking at the gear reduction version similar to what the 6.0s have from mean green my alt is new I need battery terminal connectors solder on ones or just get the same as I have now. If I do injectors I only plan on 160/stock-30 or 50% single shots max and supporting supply demand. I just need a new block heater cord in the front of the truck it is shot I do not want to pay for a specific name who ha I would rather make one if that is possible.
The other thing tranny fluid those are all synthetic iirc I may add some cold weather viscosity additive if it is safe for the tranny based on the the stuff that's in it currently.

I wouldn't put anything in it other than Mercron V ATF. Same with the Power Steering. Additives are risky and can be quite expensive if you put the wrong ones in.

As far as synthetic ATF...it's a PIA to truly "swap" but IMO worth it if you want to spend the coin.

As far as block heater cords....they are common. I think "Power-Struck" on here was selling them, I'm sure there are other vendors as well.

Last edited:

Animosus

Reaction score
I've always just run powerservice additives with no problems. Carry some diesel 911 just in case though and maybe a spare fuel filter. I also run a 5W40 synthetic oil.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Back in the old days, people would mix gasoline with diesel when it got real cold. Mercedes (diesel cars) owner manuals even had the proper ratio's for the temp. But, all you really should need is some anti-gel, and realisticaly the diesel you buy at the pumps should already be treated so it *shouldn't* gel on you.

When you fill up, poor in the proper amount of anti-gel. You should be alright. Everyone wants to be macho and cold start their truck when its -xx degrees, but its better for it if you plug it in. If you can plug it in, probably be a good idea to invest in some battery warmers as well. I would personally start it, let it idle for a few minutes will I have headed back inside to collect stuff, then drive away. But really, as long as you have oil pressure after a cold start, you can drive it. Just be easy on it until its close to or up to temperature. You might find it a good idea to block off some or all of the radiator to help in warm up times.

Synthetic oils will do much better in the cold.

Where are you moving to?

Lang

Reaction score
Light a fire under the engine, seen it on Mountain Men!

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
That reminds me the oil pressure gauge on my dash is in one spot once I start it and never moves until I kill the engine probally bad or somethimg else.

powerstroke6.4

Reaction score
Where are you planning on moving to? Up here in alaska it dips into the negatives fairly often. I have a block heater on my 6.4 but i only use it when it gets below 20 degrees.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Back in the old days, people would mix gasoline with diesel when it got real cold. Mercedes (diesel cars) owner manuals even had the proper ratio's for the temp. But, all you really should need is some anti-gel, and realisticaly the diesel you buy at the pumps should already be treated so it *shouldn't* gel on you.

When you fill up, poor in the proper amount of anti-gel. You should be alright. Everyone wants to be macho and cold start their truck when its -xx degrees, but its better for it if you plug it in. If you can plug it in, probably be a good idea to invest in some battery warmers as well. I would personally start it, let it idle for a few minutes will I have headed back inside to collect stuff, then drive away. But really, as long as you have oil pressure after a cold start, you can drive it. Just be easy on it until its close to or up to temperature. You might find it a good idea to block off some or all of the radiator to help in warm up times.

Synthetic oils will do much better in the cold.

Where are you moving to?

Berlin,NH for college I will be staying at a hotel basically so I guess I will beable to use my block heater. For antigel 911 diesel is my favorite would a grille zip up cover be a practical investment?

I have never understood why people do "no block heater" -60* Boston Mass cold starts in a brand new platinum wearing loafers with 2" of snow on the ground like yeah she starts in the extreme cold and snow of my gated community butt munch wang measuring tutu show. They are better off driving a hybrid porsche with a stick family sticker sucking mayo covered hot dogs to show how gay they are.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I have never understood why people do "no block heater" -60* Boston Mass cold starts in a brand new platinum wearing loafers with 2" of snow on the ground like yeah she starts in the extreme cold and snow of my gated community butt munch wang measuring tutu show. They are better off driving a hybrid porsche with a stick family sticker sucking mayo covered hot dogs to show how gay they are.

What the flying **** did you just say?

ToMang07

Reaction score
This...

And 911 is not an antigel. PLEASE dont tell me you used it instead of the gray powerservice antigel bottle?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

^WHS. Diesel 911 is for emergency use only....like water in the tank or gelling/gelled fuel. Not a regular supplement.

Standyne or Power Service are the most common.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
What the flying **** did you just say?

This...

And 911 is not an antigel. PLEASE dont tell me you used it instead of the gray powerservice antigel bottle?

Just a little rant off and yes I understand 911 is not anti gel I deleted the other section by accident. I have used powerservice gray before the 911 I used was for water and algae treatment.

Atsah

Reaction score
If you use an anitgel in every tank, have good working batteries, a good working GP circuit you should not have a problem.. If you do need and use 911 at anytime, replace your fuel filter, it will have allready crystalised.. Use 911 only when the truck is allready gelled, it burns to hot to use any other time.

Berlin NH is not that much colder than Augusta Maine.. Northern Maine is much colder than Berlin NH.. Your truck should run fine in those temps..

TyCorr

Reaction score
This...

To clear this up, the grey bottle of power services additive in a grey (its actually silver) bottle contains ZERO cold weather protection and will not preclude your diesel from gelling up. Not one bit.

Ive never had my fuel gel when I was doing what I should be. I have when I stop and get fuel just any old place. I used to carry 90 different bottles of crap, buy fuel wherever, and constantly fight things.
First and foremost, find a place that has good fuel. Run a tank and see what you think. If the truck gets piss poor mileage, move on. If you find water in your fuel water seperator, dont go back. Common sense really. I have access to a good supply of diesel stations. Most of them have crappy fuel. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Anyway, do your research on this step and the rest is easy ***kin cheese.

As already stated, get new gp's, get new uvch, and a relay for the gp's. Install them as instructed. Pretty straightforward. If your injectors are old or need new orings, none of this other maintenance is going to help.

Check your battery cables. The terminals are obvious but check the cable. Corrosion at either end usually means the cable is waxed. Corrosion "swims" up inside them. If you have issues at the starter or battery and messing with the connection "fixes" the issue, there is probably breaks in the strands. MAKE (not buy) new ones. Fords cables, if you can even get a replacement will be crazy expensive, to the tune of 300$+, and will be cost cutting, cheap ass bs. Make some with 3-0 cable. Buy cast copper terminals that are cadmium plated, aka, tinned. Have them hydraulically crimped. Solder the end of the cable to seal the cables grain. If you dont want to solder them use an appropriate epoxy and smooth it flush with the terminal or sand it off when it dries. If it looks clean it probably works better. That applies to everything you do.

Now you should be prepared for the parts that are out of your control initially. If you feel the need repair your block heater cord, knock yourself out. Ill tell you this, its not macho to choose to exclude its use. You literally do NOT need it. At. ALL. If your glow plugs and batteries dont do their job that thing isnt going to tip the scale in your favor. Sorry but its about as relevant as the radio. Its a comfort option not a function enhancement tool. Dont be debated on that. It will HELP (not really) make heat faster. You will be able to slice roast beef on your electric meter, lol, which is actually macho. Keep it type A.

Next, you've selected, for example, Jon's big diesel station, and its getting down around 30 degrees at night. You need to get your a $$ in to your chosen fuel shop and ASK them SPECIFICALLY what they put in the fuel for cold weather flow guarantee. If they say "its blended" and stop there. Get the ***k out and go somewhere else. They dont know which means you dont know. Heres the deal, kerosene works. Its cheaper. Now stop and think a minute. If you can even buy a gallon of WHITE power services diesel additive, its going to be 25 bucks or more. Probably a lot more. A gallon of kerosene will treat alot of diesel. Thats up to you. If you opt for additives please stick with power services WHITE or Stanadyne. Ford does make an anti gel but its too expensive in my opinion and offers nothing over the two other options.

If you want to switch to a synthetic you can but as the old tale goes it may make small oil leaks more pronounced. Given the trouble youve already had, Id recommend sticking to a conventional oil in some 30 weight. 10w30 or 5w30. If this sounds odd, dont fret, its in the damn owners manual. I dont do it, never have done it, nor will I but its perfectly acceptable and a ***kload cheaper than 20$/gal synthetic. Or do what many people do everyday, stick with your 15-40 and maintained starting system and fire it up. It'll run. It'll smooth out. It'll work. If my truck is alive after the first ten years of its life with pennzoil 15w40 anybodies can handle it.

To summarize: Make sure your gp/starting system is up to snuff. Replace any or all components if you are in doubt of their condition or operation. Its not worth skimping. Find good fuel close to where you live. The most important step in my opinion. Get some Power Services diesel additive in the white bottle. I got next years suply last week at menards for 8 bucks for the bottle that treats 5k gals. Its usually about 20.

Last but not least, letting a diesel run for long periods is flat out, stupid and a waste of money. They are giant airpumps that are throttled with fuel. That "let er idle til she warm" bs your grandpa told you as a kid doesnt apply here. If it did, the cool down procedure for a diesel wouldnt be to let it sit, idling for a minute or two. Start it, do what you need to to leave, get in and drive away. Take it easy. Driving easy until oil temps come up to 160 degrees if they ever do is probably great advice. If its real cold the last thing on your mind should be heavy throttle runs anyway. More of that damn common sense.

Dont overthink it. It all boils down to maintenance and thinking ahead. Select your fuel source carefully, the parts that allow ignition to happen, injectors up to snuff, and fire that bitsh up.

That 911 stuff didnt work the one time I did try to use it. I know it works or whatever but I use straight #1, kerosene to do the same thing. Its your call.

ToMang07

Reaction score
To clear this up, the grey bottle of power services additive in a grey (its actually silver) bottle contains ZERO cold weather protection and will not preclude your diesel from gelling up. Not one bit.

That 911 stuff didnt work the one time I did try to use it. I know it works or whatever but I use straight #1, kerosene to do the same thing. Its your call.

The white bottle PS does.

Problem with running K1 is it's dyed, and 100% illegal. Just saying.

And don't bother asking the stations up here if it's #1/#2 or "summer/winter" blend. They don't know. I have yet to find a station that can answer, not offer both at the same time.

Up here....October starts Winter Fuel.....and expect it till May. Bottom line.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you build cables, this is where you'll seal the cable to keep contaminants out of the cable strands.
20130615_091841_zps18ee0b17.jpg

Here you'll see the terminal connections sealed with shrink wrap. This isnt the cheap shti you get at autozone. Its got glue in it. As you heat the coating the glue melts first and then as the coating shrinks it pushes the glue into the cable sealing it for YEARS. Do NOT skip this step thats why oem cables suck and ultimately fail.
20130615_091623_zps48110b2b.jpg

Dont forget to transfer your hangers and all other pertinents over to your new cable.
20130615_091642_zps742bef8b.jpg

Latest posts

Members online