Connecting rods or no?

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
NY, not the urban cesspool, the part that sticks o
I have an 06 cc/sb. I have the new motor ready for assembly with all or most parts done. It's a pretty standard build:
205/75's, Barder St. 3, aeromotive lift pump, Dieselsite HPOP, bulletproof diesel remote oil cooler kit with their HD oil cooler, Hd push rods, valve springs, new heads (soon to be replaced with polished ported performance heads), spearco IC, and some other silliness.
Ok, so The issue that I'm dealing with is that I am torn between holding up the build & getting a set of RCD or hypermax rods then sending everything to the machine shop to be assembled & balanced or being a lazy bum & just going forward with the build & then crossing my fingers that everything holds up. I am looking for the opinions & advice of you guys who are knowledgeable &/or can give me your experiences. I am getting impatient but I don't like doing things half assed. Lastly, I think that the only future changes will be 285 injectors, bigger turbo and supports. I will be doing my transmission over the summer. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dieselmore

Reaction score
You don't need aftermarket rods for that setup. However if you did, I'd go R&R (now Wagler Performance). The Hypermax's I do believe are the same thing as the Wagler

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
R&R or Carrillo would by our suggestion.

our latest 2 6.0 motors are going together with carrillo. believe we still have a set left in stock if your interested shoot me a pm.

sootie

Reaction score
no need for rods with that setup if tuned correctly.

swinky

Reaction score
No need for rods. Only way you'd kill it is nitrous with the 285s.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
I decided to go with the rods& some other stuff because the general consensus that I'm getting is that they are not needed but I may be on borrowed time without them. I do plan to go bigger so I think I would be stupid not to. Also since I can't stand having money in my wallet I'm going to do a little piston work too. I don't think I mentioned it but I do have a set of 625 studs but no o rings so I'll run it till it quits then go for some serious heads. I would like to do SMALL nitrous & eventually go up to 285's & an S 400 type turbo so I think I need to just slow the project down for a bit & go with the good stuff.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It is never a bad idea to overbuild if you have the funds. It will usually last longer thatway. And we all know how addictive horsepower is....

Twan

Reaction score
If you threw a rod out of the block with 175/30's then you have/had other issues.

We will see in 2 weeks. Finally ready to pull the motor to see what made it let go. I've owned the truck from new. So that take away from bad maintenance. It's pulled heavy all its life too.

Twan

Reaction score
image.jpg

slc6oh

Reaction score
Like others have said, while prop not "needed" at your current level... not a single problem doing rods If the fundage and want is there... weather "needed" or not.

6ohs are definitely known for many reasons... weak bottom ends isn't one of em.

they put 6.0 rods in 6.7s lol

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
I ended up using a set of R&R rods from Midwest. My 250/100's will be back from warren soon and the engine will be assembled & installed within weeks. Very excited. I think I should've gone with 285 injectors but I can always do that in the future. I still need to switch over to non vgt sometime after we get all the bugs worked out and after the new tranny is in.

Reaction score
Is there a general rule of thumb for the max limit of the 6.0 rods. I believe I'm going to get into one before too long and like to know ahead of time

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
Is there a general rule of thumb for the max limit of the 6.0 rods. I believe I'm going to get into one before too long and like to know ahead of time

I'm prob the least knowledgeable person on here so just take that into consideration, I have always been told that over 650HP you should start thinking about them. Not being knowledgable I still have a theory. I think that many of the broken rods on stock bottom ends as because of just that. If you have a stock factory engine that is not balanced it prob has a degree of instability or imbalance in the rotating assembly that it kind of shakes itself apart at higher power levels like over 650. What do you guys that actually know the subject think of my theory?

Latest posts

Members online