Controlling WG's - Winter project!

Blowby

Reaction score
Co2 is an option if I need more control but I'll run on HP boost first. I'm trying to keep it simple and not have a lot of things to fill and keep turned on if I don't really need it.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Mike, if you need some fittings, let me know... I have way too many laying around... Especiall 1/4" AN.

Blowby

Reaction score
Finished the install. I decided to tap into the back pressure driving the high pressure turbo to control the waste gates. I added another copper coil to control heat and soot, we'll see how this works. The NLR 1000 input signal is the TP sensor and I wired it to activate the #1 position (GPS) on the controller. The gear position sensor reads 0-5v so with the voltage points selected at 4 different stages, plus adjusting the range allowance between these points, the solinoids are running without a dead spot.

Final-11.jpg

I also added two momentary buttons (left and right) and a power switch to the right rear of the front panel. The buttons will add additional control when needed on the spot. The left button will add 35psi of pressure and the button on the right will reduce 20psi pressure on top of the gate for the HP turbo. These will be instant pressure adjustments. I might turn the momentary switch into a three position toggle so I can have three pressure levels of the same program without going into the programming screen. Almost like a three position chip to add boost.

Final-13.jpg

I'll be out for a test drive this morning on the way to work and see how the initial configuration works. I know I have a lot of dialing in to do so this is the maiden voyage.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I just love the attention to detail and the fact that you made everything so you can still DD it if you wanted. Awesome work.

I'm jealous of the access to a 3d printer... LOL

Blowby

Reaction score
The first run was a good test and everything was functioning as programmed. I can view, real time, the pressures on top of the gates and they are rock solid. I didn't have a location to open her up but I see that I need to add the other two stages for a finer resolution in the lower portion of the TP. I still have heavy springs in the gates as a back up but now I feel comfortable with the speed and control of the NLR 1000 so a spring swap is on the list of items to do. The best part of the systems is I just re-programmed to six stages (in cab) with a higher and more aggressive pressure curve in a few minutes.

Big Bore

Reaction score
The first run was a good test and everything was functioning as programmed. I can view, real time, the pressures on top of the gates and they are rock solid. I didn't have a location to open her up but I see that I need to add the other two stages for a finer resolution in the lower portion of the TP. I still have heavy springs in the gates as a back up but now I feel comfortable with the speed and control of the NLR 1000 so a spring swap is on the list of items to do. The best part of the systems is I just re-programmed to six stages (in cab) with a higher and more aggressive pressure curve in a few minutes.

I like your heavy spring backup plan, I'm filing that information away for future reference.

Now, what would really be impressive is if you put a hitch on it, and towed your tow rig to the track.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
So how is this thing working out? I'm in the market still to get a controller to control my external gate. So you are running it off drive pressure and not manifold pressure?

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I've looked at a bunch of boost controllers like the AEM, turbosmart, ams500 ,etc and it seems that the ams1000 is the only controller that can handle boost over 50psi.

Blowby

Reaction score
So how is this thing working out? I'm in the market still to get a controller to control my external gate. So you are running it off drive pressure and not manifold pressure?
Seems to be working great minimal soot making it to the sensors.

I've looked at a bunch of boost controllers like the AEM, turbosmart, ams500 ,etc and it seems that the ams1000 is the only controller that can handle boost over 50psi.
I push up to 105 psi at the Manifold. Holds it where I want. Also the Aux channel controlls the second WG.

Also where did you buy your ams1000?
I picked it up on the for sale section of this forum, New even used.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online