converter suggestions?

mandkole

Reaction score
Well, the trans needs to come out-- towing temps are way beyond comfortable now and the converter will not stay locked with any throttle load. Im planning on a new converter, pump plus an inspection of the trans.

Ive heard the good reports on the JW converters but wondered if there are other good triple disks that you guys are happy with.

David N

Reaction score
Ive ran a Recon converter as well as a PI converter. The Recon held up with my abusive right foot very well, and at about half the price, you might look into that.

mandkole

Reaction score
isn't the recon just a remanned OE converter? Im not sure what BTS used, but its been fine. Id want nothing less. Pretty sure that other fluid management issues have contributed to hurting it.

Reaction score
We have a very good converter, had it in the truck for about a year now and over 60+low11sec runs on it@7500lbs race weight. We also still use a spring damper with a very heavy duty spring pack so it is easier on the input shaft for less rotational mass.

Krause

Reaction score
I have Dieselsites converter in right now. Cant say too much yay or nay for it yet, but it's a reasonably priced option from a reputable sponsor.

02BigD

Reaction score
Well, the trans needs to come out-- towing temps are way beyond comfortable now and the converter will not stay locked with any throttle load. Im planning on a new converter, pump plus an inspection of the trans.

Ive heard the good reports on the JW converters but wondered if there are other good triple disks that you guys are happy with.

I've had PI that I've torn up twice. If it fails again, I'm going to go with DPC.

Layson

Reaction score
Just go pick one up from Derek.... JW...

I won't do a PI converter again....LOL

Layson

Reaction score
You coming this Saturday? You should just pick one up....LOL

Layson

Reaction score
cb9ae4a6ac65e8c258d7ac2e6c45f7cf.jpg

mandkole

Reaction score
I don't really think my issue originated with the converter, but its there now since the clutch disks are starting to slip and the pcm wants to unlock/lock it. Temps have also gone way up with a tow load. Ive had clutch drifting issues in the past when shifting from park to drive (they suddenly disappeared) as well and I don't know if its converter, in the pump or somewhere in between.

Nonetheless, I think I'll be going with the JW for the new one. Need to give the vision boys a call.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing

That precision converter preference has been a lot of folklore as Im seeing it. PI doesnt make converters. They sell them. I realize there are only so many ways to make a converter but they are nothing special. Just a paint color.

I ran a roadrunner triple disc in a stock trans with a vb and it was a tough converter. I let it go with the trans but it was plenty for a built trans too. $4-600 bucks.

Tom S

Reaction score
That precision converter preference has been a lot of folklore as Im seeing it. PI doesnt make converters. They sell them. I realize there are only so many ways to make a converter but they are nothing special. Just a paint color.

I ran a roadrunner triple disc in a stock trans with a vb and it was a tough converter. I let it go with the trans but it was plenty for a built trans too. $4-600 bucks.

So who does build them for them?

Jomax

Reaction score

I ran roadrunner triple in the dually , didn't skip a beat. I also used their 4 disk in my f250. and that trans is now in my mom's EX. She's running a fully billet trans with a 4 disk converter for a 300hp 7.3. LOL.

My trans builder swears by road runner. Hasn't had one go bad. Wish I still had a 7.3 to test his maxed out trans. I was planning on putting it through its paces.

I might just put all my go fast parts on my mom's Ex. Should make a fun grocery getter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
So who does build them for them?

Whoever will build it to their spec the cheapest. Dacco built them at one point. Brian at bts supposedly uses a pi convertor with a different spec but im not the one to confirm or deny that.

Ive seen plenty of them take a dump at not so impressive hp levels.

Id rake a roadrunner td tc over one of those simply because i can buy three of them for that cost.

There is also a huge amount of refeeence to "triple disc convertors" that in fact are NOT. There are some with two and friction that gets called a third disc. Thats a dual and might be the reason many convertors shti the bed in 450hp trucks that pull trailers of mulch.

TyCorr

Reaction score
One thing, the only thing Ive found interesting with diesel 4r100s in a long time is with Ultimate trans in Id, they machine 4r100 transmission cases in full builds to accept a 13" triple disc convertor which provides a lot more surface area on the convertors friction areas.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.