Cool Idea, or should it even be attempted?????

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
Well, very shortly here I will be looking for a new Work truck/Daily driver. After numerious Dodge's, its time to move away from those for a while.......

So 6.4's have come up to the top of my list! Long story short, i think they are good trucks...... Anyways, my question is 2 fold.

1. For price reasons, and future plans for the truck, I have been looking at purchaing a fleet truck. Now Im not 100% sure if this is a good idea or not, but for what I am seeing price wise, its worth looking into!

So is a former fleet vehicle worth buying? What I am looking for is an 4x4 F-350/450 C&C. not too concerned about interior options as long as its PW,PW and AC......Im hoping to find one already delted, but those are few and far between. But as far as 6.4's are concerned, Im not to knowledgeable on them quite yet. my Plan is just to keep it mildly stock with just full deletes, Programmer and some simple bolt ons.......for now....

2008 Trucks just like this in the 100K to 150K mile range are going for 15K give or take a bit and i think thats quite a good deal!!!!

2. Reason for the C&C is I have had an itch to build something kind on unique for this next truck.........Basically make this......

dodge_RAM_BFT_SEMA_07_01-800.jpg

But a Super Duty Version with a bit different wheel and tire combo. Stretching the bed wouldnt be too hard and my plan is a 10ft bed instead of an 8ft, keep it regular cab and use a 2012 DRW bed.

I think it would be a unique truck and work quite well for commuting, and still be great for a work truck!

But has anyone done this? How exactly can a regular bed be mounted on the flat rails of a C&C????

Any advice on looking at 6.4's, fab advice for the bed stretch or even good advice on if i should even attempt this would be great!!!!

cory151

Reaction score
Somebody will probably more likely chime in on the "Aftermarket" forum.

davey99ps

Reaction score
The 6.4 pulling truck "American ride" had a 10ft box. I'm pretty sure that truck started out as a c&c, maybe try pm'ing lubeowner since he did work on the truck

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
The 6.4 pulling truck "American ride" had a 10ft box. I'm pretty sure that truck started out as a c&c, maybe try pm'ing lubeowner since he did work on the truck

Thats were the idea first poped into my head!! after seeing how weird the Reg. Cab DRW's look and how proportional Guy's truck looks IMO, just poped into my head a while back!

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I wouldn't start w/ a 450

I've got nothing against a 10ft bed, but I would want it to actually be a usable bed... service body, flat bed, etc. Not just a stretched pickup bed

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
I wouldn't start w/ a 450

I've got nothing against a 10ft bed, but I would want it to actually be a usable bed... service body, flat bed, etc. Not just a stretched pickup bed

Any reason not to start with a 450????

Honestly, I have no use for a Flat bed, and We drive Service trucks at work when we need those..... But for me, I think it just looks more asteticly pleasing. But more importantly, once i put a tool box in the bed, ill still have 8ft of usable bed space!!!!

Really, my only down falls of this entire project are two fold...I dont know 6.4's too well, and Im not exactly a body man. So I will probably have to out source some of the bed streatch....

I wish I knew how to photoshop or I could even find a picture of a Reg cab Lifted 6.4 and get more of a visual picture of everything!!!!

OBS F350

Reaction score

Lubeowner is banned. I think he is on the nation though, and if the OP really want's to contact him I'm sure someone can come up with a business phone # or something.

I really like this idea, that dodge looks awesome.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
They ride rough and drink fuel like no other. 4.30 gear is the tallest gear you can get.

Any reason not to start with a 450????

Honestly, I have no use for a Flat bed, and We drive Service trucks at work when we need those..... But for me, I think it just looks more asteticly pleasing. But more importantly, once i put a tool box in the bed, ill still have 8ft of usable bed space!!!!

Really, my only down falls of this entire project are two fold...I dont know 6.4's too well, and Im not exactly a body man. So I will probably have to out source some of the bed streatch....

I wish I knew how to photoshop or I could even find a picture of a Reg cab Lifted 6.4 and get more of a visual picture of everything!!!!

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
They ride rough and drink fuel like no other. 4.30 gear is the tallest gear you can get.

Ah! i wasnt sure what the rear gear options are......Def going to stay away from that then!!!!

Im already looking for trucks now, and have found one or two....But Im not sure I can make one with a 10ft bed now. I think my options are 9ft or 11ft, havent found any so far with a cab to bumper lenth of 10ft.....

But if anyone sees a good Reg. Cab F350 for a good price, let me know and I can get this little project up and going!!!

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
EEk, that one Ill stay away from.....Dont really want to buy a truck that doesnt run and i sure dont have the funds to dump into the motor when i can get a running truck.....

Still out there looking.....And still trying to convince my self to jump on a 6.4.........

Bosshawg600

Reaction score
Bringing this one back up......Had a truck today peak my interest again!!!!

Found a good deal on an F-450 ( I know, their gearing kind of sucks, but nothing wrong with swaping in an F350 rear end). But its a killer deal, have a few things to call about and find before I start to pull the trigger on.

Biggest thing is, Says it has an 11' utility bed on it. Any one think thats a bit too long fo this project?

Heres a pic for refference....

3K43Jd3o35L15Y15Fccc775cb1406bb541d1e.jpg

Doesnt look too long, and with only a 100K miles and a price tag under 20K.....Im digging it a lot!!!

Plus there is one other small suprize in it, but thats for a future thread!

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Wouldn't worry about the gears as much if you're going to end up with pretty tall road tires... 4.88s on 31s and 4.88s on 37s is a big difference

Smokyred

Reaction score
Bringing this one back up......Had a truck today peak my interest again!!!!

Found a good deal on an F-450 ( I know, their gearing kind of sucks, but nothing wrong with swaping in an F350 rear end). But its a killer deal, have a few things to call about and find before I start to pull the trigger on.

Biggest thing is, Says it has an 11' utility bed on it. Any one think thats a bit too long fo this project?

Heres a pic for refference....

3K43Jd3o35L15Y15Fccc775cb1406bb541d1e.jpg

Doesnt look too long, and with only a 100K miles and a price tag under 20K.....Im digging it a lot!!!

Plus there is one other small suprize in it, but thats for a future thread!

Swapping in an F350 rear end? May want to research that a little before you buy a truck. There are more differences than just the rear end under there. We swapped the other way and that required everything from the frame down.

You'll also want to check gear availability for the big boy D60 in the front if you swap the rear. The Dana 135 out back can take 4.10's IIRC.

Dave

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online