Coolant flush

hunter scar

Reaction score
Hey everyone im fixing to flush my 2002 7.3L. What's the best coolant to put back in my motor? Also any tips on flushing the system. Also should I flush with distilled water or tap water and get a flush kit at the auto parts? Thanks for the help!

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I like CAT ELC for coolant.
Flush with tap water first using a garden hose and a flush kit (basically just a 'T' with a regulator built in). Then do 2 distilled water flushes, making sure to drain the block after each. Add 4 gallons of coolant and however much distilled water you can get in (usually between 3.5 and 4 gallons).

neverkickn

Reaction score
A cat dealer or truck parts store should have or be able to get it. I would add a couple of quarts of the cat flush to your parts list As well as a new t-stat and housing.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
You can get a flush kit for like $5 from Napa.
Part # 720-1286. Also get a couple feet of 5/8" heater hose.
Any OTR truck repair place should be able to get you CAT ELC.

hunter scar

Reaction score
Alright thanks for the help! Is their any certain way to bleed the air out of the cooling system after filling back up?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Run it. Top off with distiller water till it no longer needs it. May take a couple days.

hunter scar

Reaction score
Run it. Top off with distiller water till it no longer needs it. May take a couple days.

alright will do. I will probably go ahead and replace the thermostat. Should I get the one diesel site has. OR get one from ford?

neverkickn

Reaction score
I don't think the benefit is worth the expense on a 7.3 unless you have a filled block.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I don't think the benefit is worth the expense on a 7.3 unless you have a filled block.

You'd be surprised how much sand is left in these blocks from casting.
I was going through water pumps every 40-50k prior to installing my coolant filter.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I clogged up two filters with mud after I installed a home made kit.

To properly flush the system, drain at the radiator first, than pull both block drains. They are 1/4 pipe plugs. Remove t stat and hollow it out, you'll to do this to make it reseal during the flush. Fill back up with distilled water. I bought 30 gallons of it. Run it a few minutes, drain, repeat several times. Replace the block drains with fresh Teflon tape, install newt stat and new billet housing and do the dual Alternator upper rad hose and maybe a new degas bottle.

hunter scar

Reaction score
Should I also install a new thermostat housing and thermostat while im at it. Should I use ford or aftermarket?

Southmike

Reaction score
Do a search for gooch and 7.3.
He will give you all the info you ever need on 7.3 coolant and flush info.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.