Coolant in Cylinder - Built Engine

truckpullin_75

Reaction score
After racing my truck at the local dirt drags I had let the truck idle until it cooled down some before turning it off, then started it drove it back to the shop a couple of hours later with no issues. Went to start it the next morning and it would not turn over. Pulled the glow plugs and found that cylinder #2 was full of coolant. I had not noticed any white smoking or coolant loss before this point, and it still is nearly full in the reservoir. There are no signs of fuel in the coolant or coolant in the oil. The engine was built by Wide Open Performance and is studded and fire ringed. It has seen nitrous in the past but not since I have owned it, and I have put several thousand miles on it since then. Anybody have any ideas or encountered this before? Thinking, maybe hoping more than anything, that it may be coming from between the injector cup and head or a head gasket but I wouldn't think the latter would be as likely with it being fire-ringed. Obviously something letting coolant by after it has cooled down and contracted just not sure what. Further tear down is in progress.

Last edited:

golfer

Reaction score
were the head studs torqued after initial start up? (while engine was hot?)

truckpullin_75

Reaction score
The engine came out of Jacob White's truck, I'm sure it was re-torqued properly after the studs were installed. I am in the process of replacing the injector cups now and will do a leakdown and compression test after. I talked to Jacob and am thinking it may have unseated a cup due to the number of injector swaps that it has been through.

truckpullin_75

Reaction score
Just to update, had a injector cup come un-seated on #2. Rented the tool from Riffraff and she's been back on the road trouble free since.

truckpullin_75

Reaction score
On another note the cup tool from Riffraff worked great, but I did have to use some longer bolts. The tool would hit my head studs and the bolts that came with it weren't quite as long as they needed to be.

Latest posts

Members online