Coolant in the Valley

packin45

Reaction score
25411ec3f8dd002433649b1c5aab41cc.jpg

Coolant pool in front of the turbo. This connection was the first thing I checked IIRC they are prone to fail and leak.

636061ad2024197d212b432722d02646.jpg

Any idea where to look next? Working on tracking down a pressure tester at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone

webb06

Reaction score
25411ec3f8dd002433649b1c5aab41cc.jpg

Coolant pool in front of the turbo. This connection was the first thing I checked IIRC they are prone to fail and leak.

636061ad2024197d212b432722d02646.jpg

Any idea where to look next? Working on tracking down a pressure tester at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone

Check the other end of the line that feed the turbo. It'll have a rubber hose and clamp on it. Also check the hose coming from the heater core that eventually ends up in the coolant crossover pipe connecting the heads at the front of the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packin45

Reaction score
Check the other end of the line that feed the turbo. It'll have a rubber hose and clamp on it. Also check the hose coming from the heater core that eventually ends up in the coolant crossover pipe connecting the heads at the front of the engine

I checked everything I had apart when I did the EGR delete. That metal pipe to to the snap conector that leads to the heater is dry. The tiny hose up top is dry. The short section of rubber hose leading to the turbo is dry.

I could be wrong but I would think a drip would hang on the leaking connection

Sent from my iPhone

webb06

Reaction score
I checked everything I had apart when I did the EGR delete. That metal pipe to to the snap conector that leads to the heater is dry. The tiny hose up top is dry. The short section of rubber hose leading to the turbo is dry.

I could be wrong but I would think a drip would hang on the leaking connection

Sent from my iPhone

You're thinking correctly. I'd wash it out and make sure it's dry and run it. Easier to find that way, unless you get a pressure tester

packin45

Reaction score
I dried everything up best I could. I'll get a pressure tester for sure. Rent borrow or the snappy truck stops at the mechanics shop on Friday

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction score
Check these two points. I had mine leak a long time ago in the valley which at first appeared that the trans line was leaking. After further inspection, found these points were leaking. Removed the stupid little pinch clamps that the arrows are pointing to and put actual hose clamps on instead. Hasnt leaked since. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Coolant Leak.jpg
    Coolant Leak.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

packin45

Reaction score
Well I got a hold of a pressure tester. I put 16 psi on it over an hour ago and have yet to see any drop in pressure or drips. I will replace the short piece of hose and use hose clamps as builtpowerstroketough suggested.

Sent from my iPhone

packin45

Reaction score
Replaced the whole line to the turbo along with the snap fitting on the end before putting the intake back on. Guy at work suggested getting it warmed up to see if it held pressure.

It does not. When the truck is warm it loses a pound in about 5-10 min at 16 psi. Running out of ideas. Think I'm going to go get a bore scope camera to see if I can look for leaks while the truck is warm.

Sent from my iPhone

webb06

Reaction score
Replaced the whole line to the turbo along with the snap fitting on the end before putting the intake back on. Guy at work suggested getting it warmed up to see if it held pressure.

It does not. When the truck is warm it loses a pound in about 5-10 min at 16 psi. Running out of ideas. Think I'm going to go get a bore scope camera to see if I can look for leaks while the truck is warm.

Sent from my iPhone

You can run the engine with the upper and lower manifold off, that might help you see a little better. So when it's losing pressure you can't see any leaks?

packin45

Reaction score
I could see some coolant in the valley again. But couldn't see where it was coming from.

I assume the coolant line I replaced is where it exits? Where does the coolant enter the turbo?

Sent from my iPhone

Dzchey21

Reaction score
when the engine is warm and you pressure it up you will loose pressure as it cools off. IF you cant see an actual leak don't get too excited just yet. Try to dry the valley the best you can, a simple water hose will do good enough on that just flush it out. You will know if you have a coolant leak because it will turn back red.

I had the same issue on the turbo supply line, it would only leak hot and after a hard pull. It was the pinch clamps, i didn't push it up far enough.

I almost bet you have the problem fixed.

One more place to look is the upper radiator hose, its easy to crack that end of it and make it leak hot and under pressure. Check there as well. If it leeks from the rear corner it will leak down in the valley as well.

packin45

Reaction score
But I filled it drove for about an hour, topped it off ( only down about 1/4" inch) then drove for an hour and it's out of site in the tank.

Think the next place I'm going to look at will be around the thermostat area

Sent from my iPhone

webb06

Reaction score
I could see some coolant in the valley again. But couldn't see where it was coming from.

I assume the coolant line I replaced is where it exits? Where does the coolant enter the turbo?

Sent from my iPhone

That line should be feed. Exit is through the pedestal on the bottom

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance. Coolant tube?

Sent from my iPhone

Well it's the L shaped pipe located in front of the turbo but not on the turbo above the valley. Comes out going back of truck and turns to passenger side with the white plastic push lock. Lol best I can give you because I don't know proper name for it. It has a quarter (25 cents) size O ring on it.

packin45

Reaction score
Oh ok I doubt it's that but I will look it over real good. That gets loosened every time the upper intake comes off. That got checked over real good when I thought it was something related to the EGR delete

Sent from my iPhone

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.