Couple questions...Pistons and machine work

CTFFEMT

Reaction score
Looking for some input and help with my build regarding piston options and machine work.

Truck is a SRW DD ZF6, somedays pull a smaller tractor, nothing too heavy. Once a month I pull a 20' enclosed trailer with toys for track days and winter time head north with sleds in tow, again nothing super heavy.

setup is 238/100s, S369, headers, carrillo rods, methanol injection, GH stage 1 cam, head and main studs + girdle, and all other supporting mods / parts. If you guys need a whole rundown i'll gladly list.

Motor is down to just the block and is at the machine shop. I'm waiting to hear what size pistons i'll need to order. Question with pistons is... will it be worth it to do the ceramic coating and de-lipping? I can't find much on these options in relation to the 7.3 specifically. Just wondering if it is worth the extra change. Obviously I am deep into $$ this go around so if it is worth it I will do it. Just would like to hear some input.

Was considering Fire ringing the heads / block for insurance but my machinist is steering me away from it. Seems to think it is a bit too overkill for what I do with it as well as power level I am at. I tend to agree with him. So then he discussed o-ringing the heads only. Showed me a couple motors / heads with them and I have heard it discussed with the 6.0's but haven't heard anything about the 7.3. I know the metal ring on the head gasket around each cylinder is not perfectly circular. I discussed this with my machinist and he is going to look further into it and call the company he gets the plates from and see if they offer one for the 7.3. If it is an option...is it even worth it? max PSI out of the 369 should be around 50psi correct? OEM head gaskets + studs should hold this correct?

Thanks guys

TyCorr

Reaction score
The oring or fire ring i would do. Just because a new motor that headgasket isnt cooked on and you cant run a hybrid or a 100% nozzle on an engine until that crap is cooked together and then studded.

But if you put a wire ring in there to do the job of the headgasket around the cylinders, you aint gotta worry. You're g2g right off the bat.

m_j

Reaction score
what is the price difference between oring and fire ring? oring seems like a waste of time to me
call swamps and talk to them.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
IMHO I wouldn't fire ring or any of that. De-lipped pistons are cheap insurance. You aren't making huge power but little things like that are cheap little mods at your future power level. Also have your piston oiling nozzles tig welded so they don't break off like some have in the past. Once again cheap insurance

CTFFEMT

Reaction score
The oring or fire ring i would do. Just because a new motor that headgasket isnt cooked on and you cant run a hybrid or a 100% nozzle on an engine until that crap is cooked together and then studded.

Not sure i follow exactly....i ran the 100's last time this thing was apart and did a hot retorque and it held fine.

Call the shop to discuss options if you need some advice. Hope to talk with you soon .

will call today

what is the price difference between oring and fire ring? oring seems like a waste of time to me
call swamps and talk to them.

600-1g more. parts + labor.

IMHO I wouldn't fire ring or any of that. De-lipped pistons are cheap insurance. You aren't making huge power but little things like that are cheap little mods at your future power level. Also have your piston oiling nozzles tig welded so they don't break off like some have in the past. Once again cheap insurance

more research I do people are making much higher power levels with OEM HG and studs and they are holding together fine so I am leaning towards not doing it. am leaning towards the de-lipping. and yes, I do have welded piston oil jets thank you sir.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
I put an engine together years ago with new stock gaskets and ARP's, held 85psi just fine until it spun the mains. Next engine in that truck had fire rings with h11's and seen 100-125psi almost daily. That one ended up breaking a piston, never had an issue keeping heads glued on an engine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
I put an engine together years ago with new stock gaskets and ARP's, held 85psi just fine until it spun the mains. Next engine in that truck had fire rings with h11's and seen 100-125psi almost daily. That one ended up breaking a piston, never had an issue keeping heads glued on an engine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats good to know. Some of the more notorious engine builders did not warranty or even advise the use of anything over like a 30% nozzle on virgin gaskets.

Just passing that along as I thought it may be relevant.

m_j

Reaction score
I paid $400cdn to machine the block for fire rings ( PARR had never done one before and had to order the tooling from Rottler to do it) and ordered the kit from swamps.
in the states you should be able to beat that pricing

emev0l

Reaction score
At your power level you'll be fine with just head studs, is this the end of the build or do you plan to go with bigger injectors and compounds?

Make sure the machine shop line hones your mains with the girdle torqued down.

CTFFEMT

Reaction score
thanks for all the input guys. going to stay away from rings and whatnot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.