Cracked blocks

Lassie

Reaction score
Sure they have, when different lube is used. Torque is a measure of friction on the fastener. The type and amount of lube used wildly affects the clamping force provided by any given torque value.

Wrong. Torque is the measure of strain/force on the fastener. Friction is an unwanted force which needs to be minimized to get a true torque reading. Hence, the lube.

SVTDanny

Reaction score
Wrong. Torque is the measure of strain/force on the fastener. Friction is an unwanted force which needs to be minimized to get a true torque reading. Hence, the lube.

Hence,

"The type and amount of lube used wildly affects the clamping force provided by any given torque value."

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Following the instructions provided by the designer and manufacturer of the product. That sounds like a terribly stupid thing to do, doesn't it?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...t-purchase&p=85611132&viewfull=1#post85611132

SVTDanny said:
$1,000 worth of bolts and gaskets.
SVTDanny said:
Tried to get away with blown gaskets on my 6.4 PSD too long. Split the radiator from too much pressure in the coolant system a couple days ago.

Attempting the job cab-on. We'll see how smart of an idea that pans out to be.
SVTDanny said:
Studs just showed up. They are 9/16" and ARP 2000 material. Talk about beefy. Still in search of someone to loan me a torque wrench that goes to 275 ft/lbs.

Looking forward to updates on your cab-on stud job. It seems like you have limited experience with these engines (could that be the reason you signed up here to read about doing a stud job? surely not... you know everything about these engines because you know everything about an engine, right?)

that was 2.5 weeks ago. surely you're back on the road now right? are you trying to make yourself feel better for torquing to 275 and now you're worried about a cracked block? nahhh

Crack85

Reaction score

Not to be a dick....but that is not the definition of torque.....torque = F x r (and the. X is the cross product not multiplication).....pretty sure there aren't any physics formulas where strain is divided by force.... Y'all carry on...

Last edited:

Lassie

Reaction score
Not to be a dick....but that is not the definition of torque.....torque = F x r (and the. X is the cross product not multiplication).....pretty sure there aren't any physics formulas where strain is divided by force.... Y'all carry on...

Oh no problem...I think it's perfectly ok to be a dik in this thread

Reaction score
Sure they have, when different lube is used. Torque is a measure of friction on the fastener. The type and amount of lube used wildly affects the clamping force provided by any given torque value.

Or because they were cracking blocks.

Oh yeah and btw I also know who designed the arp studs and had arp make them. Then after arp made them and sent several "custom ordered" batches to this company arp "slapped" their own part number on them and began selling them to the masses.

I know for a fact arp didn't put 10's of thousands if dollars into it.

But keep on arguing with your misguided ways and ideas. I'll keep throwing out facts.

Once again your ego still won't let go that your not correct.

Last edited:

Lassie

Reaction score

And its not a divided by...that's an "or" slash LOL

Wayne

Reaction score
I have to admit this has been a bit of a fun read, but at some point you guys gotta realize the futility of attempting to convince this window licker of what reality is and is not. If somebody legitimately wants to come in humbly, and learn something, then sure. Let's help him out. This guy though...:flush:

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
attempting to convince this window licker

LOL LOL LOL

Michael%20Jackson%20just%20came%20here%20to%20read%20the%20comments.jpg

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Im with wayne i can't beleive you guys have even responded to him at this point.

I hope that block splits, best part is you dont know for quite some time, but as usual its the ass monkeys that get lucky

FN74

Reaction score
I've studded one 08, and about to do a '10 for a buddy, so I need to figure out a reasonable way to stay away from the crack.

Thinking about this a little bit, and trying to figure out a solution for those of us DD under the 1000hp mark I've got an idea based purely on memory, conjecture and some logic thrown in. Experts please feel free to shoot holes, or support.

First- The torque rating assigned to a particular stud is enough so that the stud is in its "elasticity" range, meaning that is is stretched just a tad so that a clamping force is maintained. Something like a 250,000(or whatever the number is) PSI spring. Typically size of a bolt determines torque value, given leeway for mettalurgy of said bolt.

The point I make is the bigger the bolt, the higher the torque rating will have to be for it to work correctly. Too low of torque for the bolt, and it will not "spring" causing loss of clamping ability.

It's pretty obvious by now that these blocks cannot handle 300lb-ft of tq. 250 has got to be getting pretty close to too little for the M16 stud to work right.

Since these are the same blocks as the 6.0 and those have not had any cracking problems, would it be possible to

A- Helicoil all the holes back to the M14 size stud for the 6.0 with a 265 TQ spec and make a spacer for the heads, or

B- Helicoil just the known weak holes back to M14 6.0 stud?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I don't think that is a good idea. I think Morgan has a solution. Just follow those steps and that is your best bet.

Charles

Reaction score
He was suggesting using a smaller fastener that would still be in it's elastic region without needing to be torqued to a value that tickles the block's structural funny bone.

Actually sounded pretty damn good to me. That or making the larger fasteners from a slightly different material, or slightly different hardening or similar that would allow the stud to reach its elastic region at a lower value.

Sounds like the studs might be a bit too strong for the application. If the studs never stretch, but the blocks always break, then the studs might need to chill a bit.

On Edit:

I can't believe I posted in this $hit storm, lol.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
He was suggesting using a smaller fastener that would still be in it's elastic region without needing to be torqued to a value that tickles the block's structural funny bone.

Actually sounded pretty damn good to me. That or making the larger fasteners from a slightly different material, or slightly different hardening or similar that would allow the stud to reach its elastic region at a lower value.

Sounds like the studs might be a bit too strong for the application. If the studs never stretch, but the blocks always break, then the studs might need to chill a bit.

On Edit:

I can't believe I posted in this $hit storm, lol.

Woah!! Welcome back man. Long time no see

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online