crank case venting idea

Jbird

Reaction score
if you guys run a catch can make dam sure its restriction free. either back to the intake or to the exhaust.. if not, you will build pressure and start pushing oil from places you dont want it to..

live life full throttle

How do i check if its restriction free.

Honestly i just wana run my exit side all the way to the back of the truck with the little cheap filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
How do i check if its restriction free.

Honestly i just wana run my exit side all the way to the back of the truck with the little cheap filter

if it's not routed back to the intake or exhaust to help pull/scavenge out the gasses and it has any sort of catch can/filter on it then it will have some restriction on it.

personally, I would run the ccv hose to the front bottom side of the motor so the fan can mix fresher air with it to cut the stink.. might have some drips on the front axle but think of it as undercoating. lol

live life full throttle

johnp115

Reaction score
if you guys run a catch can make dam sure its restriction free. either back to the intake or to the exhaust.. if not, you will build pressure and start pushing oil from places you dont want it to..

live life full throttle

Exactly lol, again.. why i say just route it to somewhere less obvious. Its not that bad, if the smoke is super obnoxious then maybe you have bigger problems.........

Jbird

Reaction score

live life full throttle

So even if i ran the tube from the ccv all the way near the rear tire and just dumped exit it would still be restrictive?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So even if i ran the tube from the ccv all the way near the rear tire and just dumped exit it would still be restrictive?

as long as there are no low spots then you should be ok.. i tried that with my dually and it started pushing oil out of the 38r.. but those are more sensitive to cc pressure..

live life full throttle

Jbird

Reaction score
I might just try running out to the back. If not ill do the the angled cut into the exhaust.

Jbird

Reaction score
as long as there are no low spots then you should be ok.. i tried that with my dually and it started pushing oil out of the 38r.. but those are more sensitive to cc pressure..

live life full throttle

What do you mean by low spots

snik

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have a straight route after the catch can. But I see it puffing smoke out daily.
Once it leaves the catch can which is essentially under the cab right under the pedals. It leaves there and goes up over the frame then down and opens up just aft the front axle.

Jbird

Reaction score
Im just tired of smelling it instead of smell diesel

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have a straight route after the catch can. But I see it puffing smoke out daily.
Once it leaves the catch can which is essentially under the cab right under the pedals. It leaves there and goes up over the frame then down and opens up just aft the front axle.
so theres a high spot in it over the frame? or is it level over the frame?

live life full throttle

snik

Reaction score
... im surprised you dont have oil leaking out somewhere other then the ccv..

live life full throttle

Only oil leak I have I think is the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket. Haven't determined which one it is yet. But I don't think the ccv bypass has anything to do with it.

I don't see how it makes such huge a deal as u make it sound tho. It's just smoke. All that crap goes up out of the valve cover before it drops down to the catch can. I'm sure a slight rise of maybe 6" from the catch can isn't affecting it enough to cause a leak anywhere.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Only oil leak I have I think is the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket. Haven't determined which one it is yet. But I don't think the ccv bypass has anything to do with it.

I don't see how it makes such huge a deal as u make it sound tho. It's just smoke. All that crap goes up out of the valve cover before it drops down to the catch can. I'm sure a slight rise of maybe 6" from the catch can isn't affecting it enough to cause a leak anywhere.
its oil vapor, as it cools, it turns back into oil and will build up and be a thick sludge and wont flow uphill... how long has it been routed like that?

live life full throttle

Jbird

Reaction score
Well my catch can is mounted to the front bumper under the passenger headlight. The exit port runs up directly behind the headlight where it has that cheap filter to cap off the hose. Idk whyyyy they did it that way i told them i wanted it under frame towards the back. Idk like i said i can barely smell diesel over ccv smell and im sick of it. I like that smell of diesel

Justin.D

Reaction score
Its not too complicated. Just run some 1" heater hose down to the frame, into a catch can made out of 2" PCV pipe with a screw on bottom. Use rolled up scotchbrite to filter out the oil. Then run heater hose back to the intake. This set up has been on my truck for 25k miles now, and filters out probably 4 oz of oil every oil change, zero smell, zero oil on the ground or in the intake, and zero leaks from crankcase pressure.

snik

Reaction score
its oil vapor, as it cools, it turns back into oil and will build up and be a thick sludge and wont flow uphill... how long has it been routed like that?

live life full throttle

Well to the catch can it runs down. Any oil that makes it past the catch can should flow back down to the can.
It's been this way for some time now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.