Cruise control issue...wierd

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Never had an issue with my cruise control until last Thursday when I hooked the trailer up.

Over the winter, I installed LED bulbs in all the exterior lights. Along with the high mount LED bulb, I installed a 25 ohm resister simulating the incandescent bulb load.

After the LED bulb conversion, cruise worked, no issues.

So last Thursday, I hook up the trailer. The trailer has all LED lights. I try to engage the cruise, nothing. After driving about 30 minutes, I try the cruise again and it worked.

Yesterday with no trailer hooked up, I try to engage cruise...nothing. Drive about 20 minutes, the cruise starts working again.

I have AE and access to Ford IDS. Would either scanning software be able to read the cruise buttons to see if the ECM is recognizing the signal?

Anyone have any ideas?

Billy T.
[email protected]

KYpatriot

Reaction score
You probably already considered this but have you looked into the switch on the steering wheel? Could just be the switch going bad. Mine did sonething similar to yours one day last year and has never done it again since.

Shovel

Reaction score
I recently had my cruise control and reverse lights go out at the same time. After some research it's my understanding that the 3rd brake light, reverse, and cruise control are all on the same circuit. With that said, I believe my issue is a ground somewhere but have not had time to check.

Have you had any luck locating the source of your issue?

brettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I recently had my cruise control and reverse lights go out at the same time. After some research it's my understanding that the 3rd brake light, reverse, and cruise control are all on the same circuit. With that said, I believe my issue is a ground somewhere but have not had time to check.

Have you had any luck locating the source of your issue?

And your torque converter lock up solenoid...

gnxtc2

Reaction score
FIXED.....

Hooked up the scanner and it said that "brake pedal - on"

Checked the brake pressure sensor on the master....I had continuity.

Broke out the test light, checked the leads going to the sensor....no power.

The schematic showed Underhood Fuse 5 powers the brake switch then it goes to the PCM. When I touched Fuse 5, I heard a relay click.....failed the wiggle test. The fuse wasn't making a good connection thus giving the PCM a false reading (brake applied). Tightened up the fuse socket, put the fuse back and performed the wiggle test.....pass.

Checked the scanner, now shows "brake pedal - off"

Go for a ride, cruise activates.

Billy T.
[email protected]

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I have a cruise issue right now too. I believe ae should be able to read the same. Going to look at it on Saturday.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I personally have AE. But have easy access to Ford IDS, Snap On Versus and Motis.

When I troubleshooted the cruise issue, I was running errands and stopped by my friend's shop and used his Motis. AE was at my shop 15 minutes away.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online