CTS issue

chromehound

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best spot but here goes: I turn the key and sometimes the CTS dosen't come on until I actually start the truck - most times it comes on as soon as I turn the key. The other day it didn't come on at all so I shut the truck off and it came on with the restart. I've checked my OBDII connection and the back of the CTS and everything seems tight so I'm stumped and am hunting for ideas.

chromehound

Reaction score
I know, was hoping someone had had the same issue and it was something stupid simple and not a big issue with the CTS or the OBDII.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing... with the exception of the not coming on at all part. Sometimes it'll power up during key on and other times the engine has to crank over.

That part has to do with how the device monitors CAN messages from the OBDII port. Since the device has to "wake up" to read messages, it only reads messages every second or so. There is a specific CAN message it looks for to "wake up" which occurs during key on. If the device is asleep, it might miss the message. In that case, the message will occur again during cranking/running which the device then catches and wakes up. This is all normal behavior.

Now, for the not turning on at all... That seems to occur as the temperature drops and overnight battery voltages dip. The device goes into a "brown out" (undervoltage) state where it doesn't exactly reboot, but the processor stops functioning. The only way to correct this is to unplug and reconnect the device, effectively rebooting it. The usual cause for this is batteries that are not able to maintain adequate voltage after the "surface charge" has worn off. With the older programmers (the monochrome style) this was the precursor of a battery failure and replacing the battery would eliminate the problem.

I hope this is helpful.

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
i dont think they have a battery in them. my guess would be batt on the truck. had this happen a few times when it got cold outside. makes sense

chromehound

Reaction score
Hmmm batteries are only a month old but I understand the cold issues. I'll see if when I start plugging it in if the issue changes as I have a battery maintainer hooked up also so the batteries stay "topped up"

yeehaw

Reaction score
when the truck is off, you can touch the screen and it will power up...least mine does, i always do it when i dust the damn thing off. But mine does the same thing every time, won't come on til the truck is running. It will not come on with just the key on. Done it in all three trucks i have had it in too.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Yeah... I think the lock-up incident was a fluke. The rest of it actually sounds normal and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Latest posts

Members online