Custom tuning

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
I don't know how much feedback I'll get from this thread but I'll give it a shot.

Lately I've been really considering buying advantage from sct and trying to start making tunes. I know its not as easy as it sounds I've read about 90 pages out of a 100 page manual I found online trying to see what all goes Into this and if it's something I can take on.

Basically I wanna know if anyone here has tried this for themselves and where can I begin to learn? Manuals to read? People that may be willing to give me help and guidance on this. I really wanna learn the art of it because It interests me and I feel like with enough time and dedication I could become good at it.
As far as previous tuning experience I have none. So maybe the experienced tuners on the forum could chime in and point in the direction where I can learn.
Everyone started somewhere and I just wanna find out where to start and what I need to do.
Thanks for reading!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I don't know how much feedback I'll get from this thread but I'll give it a shot.

Lately I've been really considering buying advantage from sct and trying to start making tunes. I know its not as easy as it sounds I've read about 90 pages out of a 100 page manual I found online trying to see what all goes Into this and if it's something I can take on.

Basically I wanna know if anyone here has tried this for themselves and where can I begin to learn? Manuals to read? People that may be willing to give me help and guidance on this. I really wanna learn the art of it because It interests me and I feel like with enough time and dedication I could become good at it.
As far as previous tuning experience I have none. So maybe the experienced tuners on the forum could chime in and point in the direction where I can learn.
Everyone started somewhere and I just wanna find out where to start and what I need to do.
Thanks for reading!

I love tuning/custom tunes. I have like 30-40 tunes from just about every tuner out there. Each one has its pluses and minuses.

I bought the tuning software last year to be able to tune my own truck. IT WAS A LOT HARDER THAN I THOUGHT. I give a lot of respect to tuners. The SCT/Ford platform makes it really difficult to do what you want. You cannot just "adjust" whatever you want. You have to learn which sensor to "fool" to achieve your desired goal.

There is no simple boost/fuel/pw table to simply change and have what you want. You have to go through many different tables to fool other sensor and change the scales at which the sensors see to achieve the results you want. Once you get the hang of everything it becomes much easier... but figuring it out on your own is VERY difficult.

90% of all the training stuff I looked at was for NA gasser cars. Not turbo charged diesels.

I was able to write some of my own tunes and they worked pretty well... BUT... some of the more well known tuners were able to squeeze more power out of my truck.

Hope that helps.

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
Well I read the 100 page tuning tip manual from sct and it gave me a good bit of information but it's still far from giving me a understanding of where to start. I gathered a bunch of tables to see if I could look at it and start figuring out what I should start with them go from there. Like if it had a sample modified tune that I could then alter and play with to get my understanding before I start from a blank canvas. I definitely will give them props it's pretty complicated and time consuming, but I guess that's why they have their job. I found a place where you can get the lesson but they want 1200$ a lesson and to be honest that's crazy in my mind.

junglejoe

Reaction score
I tuned my racecars back in the day, if you don't know what you are doing... KABOOM!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.