CVT Transmission?

sniper_101

Reaction score
Always wondered this, but any reason why a CVT (continuously variable transmission) hasn't caught on for a performance diesel application? Reliability and development being the #1 issue I'm guessing, but from the reasons I can think of, would open up a whole new world of 1/4 mile times and sled pulling.

I know Mitsu or Nissan used/uses it in one of their cars, (I think a Lancer or something), but from what I've heard, it sucks. So maybe the technology on them just hasn't progressed or been worked on enough for the automotive world yet. For all I know there isn't really such a thing yet, or is there?

Just wanted to see what others thought of this or if others pondered this before as well, etc. No time consuming shifting, no boost loss and keeping the engine in it's exact power-band . . . who wouldn't love that!

:poke:

09stroker

Reaction score
Is that what their ProDrive system is?

I realize it has been used, but am wondering why it's not caught on for a performance solution/replacement.

I think pro drive is what they call it on harvesting machines. On tractors they advertise it as an IVT called AutoPowr.
I would think its because it would be very expensive as it would be a fully custom unit. Then you gotta think about tuning the damn thing lol.

wint

Reaction score
Id say that it hasnt been used since: 1. It would be so expensive. Its not a product for our truck market. So all the engineering and trial and error would consume a mass amount of money. 2. Idk if a system could be made for such a high torque/high performance application either.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Audi has successfully used them since 07 and Nissan has been using them for about 2 years. And they seem to be reliable but if anything goes it all goes. Cracked open over 40 and most needed everything but a case.

Fat fingered from the phone-Corey

Deereman4020

Reaction score
Is that what their ProDrive system is?

I realize it has been used, but am wondering why it's not caught on for a performance solution/replacement.
No the pro drive sorta is but the real CVT is the John Deere Infinantly Variable Transmission. thats on the tractors the prodrive is a similar setup but more for choppers and maybe combines.

sniper_101

Reaction score
No the pro drive sorta is but the real CVT is the John Deere Infinantly Variable Transmission. thats on the tractors the prodrive is a similar setup but more for choppers and maybe combines.

Ahh gotcha, our 9870 has Prodrive, but 4wd tractors smaller than the 95xx series aren't common around here. No idea what they're equipped with.

wint

Reaction score
Id say something that would be easier to attempt would be a hydro drive. That could work decently but would be heavy.

Reaction score
Hydro drive would not be a good idea since hydros don't handle loads well at all. If anything a CVT or IVT would work but like what was stated when they do fail you cant just rebuild them. They usually just replace it and send the core back.

Sodbuster Jr.

Reaction score
Ahh gotcha, our 9870 has Prodrive, but 4wd tractors smaller than the 95xx series aren't common around here. No idea what they're equipped with.

The 9000/9R series Deere's now all use the powershift transmission. The 8000/8R series down to I beleive the 7000/7R series has the powershift, autoquad or IVT transmission option.

Latest posts

Members online