Cylinder pressure

Twan

Reaction score
Is there a easy way to check Cylinder pressure?
Does the PHP FICM tune (40hp) raise Cylinder pressure much?

golfer

Reaction score
easy?..I guess that's a relative term.

We use Optrand cylinder pressure transducers to watch/monitor the cylinder pressure curve while we run engines on our engine dyno.

All other things constant..if you inject more fuel and are able to burn it, you should see an increase in cylinder pressure.

TooMuch03

Reaction score
OP, unless you buy your parts from this guy ^^^ or spend the money to buy your own cylinder pressure monitoring equipment, there is no easy or cost effective way. Sorry, I've been down this road already.

mondtster

Reaction score
Firing pressure is relatively easy to measure on a diesel with glow plugs. If there are no glow plugs it gets a little trickier.

The data acquisition equipment needed to measure firing pressure isn't cheap. I'd say it is out of range for most individuals and probably even a number of shops. I've always been curious to know how many of the performance shops selling tunes and doing live tuning are actually measuring firing pressure.

FWIW, we use Kistler equipment to measure firing pressure in the test lab I work in.

Chatham036

Reaction score
Does the PHP FICM tune (40hp) raise Cylinder pressure much?

FICM tuning only modifies the pulse width inside of the motor. Pulse width modifies the amount of fuel sprayed per stroke( if you didn't know).

Does the amount of fuel discharged into the cylinder increase cyl pressure? Yes. But very little in comparison to advancing the SOI (start of injection) just two degrees.

When concerned with the cylinder pressures, it is best to focus on the primary contributor being the PCM tuning since it controls the SOI. The most FICM tuning will do is exacerbate an issue that is already present

If you have any more questions about FICM tuning, feel free to shoot me am email and I will be happy to explain in more detail.
[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online