DD compound turbo setup

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Since my motor has been pulled I have been doing a lot of thinking. Is it possible to have a fun to drive compound setup using a 38r/s475 with a set of 238/100 or 238/200 injectors? I guess my question is would that setup work? I'm not looking for 800 hp. My hp goal would be right around 600. The truck would be a DD possibly and be used for towing. Occasionally it might go to the drag strip or run on the dyno. Anybody out there with experience on compounds for our trucks

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
S468 and some 250/200s is a really fun a streetable setup. It's cheaper then compounds too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
I am guessing a large single would be a little easier on the motor than compounds depending on tuning and power level. Are you going to do a partial block fill and a girdle?

powerjoke73

Reaction score
I am not sure yet I thought a girdle wasn't needed until like 700 hp but then again I just had problems. I was just wandering if compounds would be more fun at this hp level.

DocBar

Reaction score
Since my motor has been pulled I have been doing a lot of thinking. Is it possible to have a fun to drive compound setup using a 38r/s475 with a set of 238/100 or 238/200 injectors? I guess my question is would that setup work? I'm not looking for 800 hp. My hp goal would be right around 600. The truck would be a DD possibly and be used for towing. Occasionally it might go to the drag strip or run on the dyno. Anybody out there with experience on compounds for our trucks
Yes it is. It's all in the tuning and supporting mods. 600 HP is much easier and cheaper to reach with a 468 and a bit larger injector, though.

I am guessing a large single would be a little easier on the motor than compounds depending on tuning and power level. Are you going to do a partial block fill and a girdle?
Why would a large single be easier on the motor? I guess I'm not sure how smokey and laggy becomes easier.

Petro

Reaction score
Yes it is. It's all in the tuning and supporting mods. 600 HP is much easier and cheaper to reach with a 468 and a bit larger injector, though.

Why would a large single be easier on the motor? I guess I'm not sure how smokey and laggy becomes easier.

An S468 is a far cry from Smokey and Laggy . . . A local truck with 250/200's and an S468 spooled comparable or as fast as a 38r with the same fuel. There's a reason a lot of trucks runnings S468's throw rods.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Real quick update: the engine is being pulled tomorrow. Pretty sure either the crank went bad or the oil pump grenaded itself. The engine is most likely going to be bored .02 over. Plan on calling rosewood since they are within an hour from me to see what all is needed.

I am aware of S468 and will prob go that route. There is a machine shop that could make the tubing for a compound kit for me that's why I was considering it. Maybe they can make me the tubing for the S468.

The truck was tuned like a PMR truck which means we kept as much low end torque out of it as we could. When the engine went it was at high rpm.

Anybody have experience with converting 238/100 injectors to something bigger?

fordman67

Reaction score
you will not be disappointed with a 468 with those stix. i had 225/100 and there was no shame in its game. I only changed because they were a code oil thirsty pigs and had gotten worn out.

If it were me I would get the mill fixed and more air. 500 is easily obtained with what you have.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
How does your single terminator pump Do with those injectors? I am going to put a better hpop on while the engine is out

fordman67

Reaction score
i used to set 1211 all the time. now with the hybrids it holds pressure well.

a fried of mine has 238/100 and t500 for 4 years and he has not set 1211 ever.

im not saying its king kong but its doing what i need it to do.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Don't remember my numbers but I know my stock pump was keeping up pretty well. My fuel pressure was only set at 62.

m j

Reaction score
rods are the weak link with s468
when you pull the old motor apart look for fretting on the main caps, this is why you add the bandaids like girdle and block fill.
pretty sure I kicked the rods out of mine driving at low rpm with the zf5

powerjoke73

Reaction score
So I need to fill the block and add a girdle? Any other suggestions to help prevent a rod blowing etc.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
With 600hp block fill is not needed. Studs and girdle will be a good safety net. I didn't fill my block when I built my motor and don't have any problems so far and I'm making well over 600hp. I know of two trucks that had 468s and they both spooled fast and daily drove really close to stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help/suggestions. I will prob upgrade injectors while they are out and do as much as I can to prevent this from happening again. How hard is it to make your own kit for the s468?

superpsd

Reaction score
Are you close to a tuner so you can get live tuned
May be the way to go. Tuning is what will make or break the block.

Latest posts

Members online