Death Wobble

01platinum

Reaction score
I am posting this for a friend. I know that Dodge has a big problem with this and that is the reason he sold his Dodge and bought a 2008 F250. He is now having the same issue he said. It is not quite as bad as with his other truck but he said driving it will start shaking really bad to where he has to get on the brakes.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to fix it?

01Platinum's Command Center

4tonGT40

Reaction score
I am posting this for a friend. I know that Dodge has a big problem with this and that is the reason he sold his Dodge and bought a 2008 F250. He is now having the same issue he said. It is not quite as bad as with his other truck but he said driving it will start shaking really bad to where he has to get on the brakes.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to fix it?

If it real violent then it should be easy to find....loose wheel or some really worn suspension parts. I had a small vibration and the Tire shop noticed that the left front wheel wasnt sitting flush up against the rotor. Its was at a slight angle but enough to cause vibration at 60mph

01platinum

Reaction score
He posted a video I will have to look for it. He said that it has new shocks and has had a full alignment done. Ford has had the truck 3 times and can't figure it out. He said when it starts shaking it will almost pull the wheel out of his hand. He had to come to a complete stop then start going again.

jr1993

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing but very rarely i can't figure it out either. I have the same tires but mine is lifted. Usually only happens after i drive over rail road tracks but it doesn't happen every time.

4tonGT40

Reaction score
He needs to take it to another Dealer BC a vibration that violent means there is something really wrong and should be evident relatively easy. I have had steering dampners go bad and get really bad wobble at high speeds like that when i would hit a bump in the road.

01platinum

Reaction score
He needs to take it to another Dealer BC a vibration that violent means there is something really wrong and should be evident relatively easy. I have had steering dampners go bad and get really bad wobble at high speeds like that when i would hit a bump in the road.

That is what he told me. It really only happens after he hits a bump or hole in the road. Think he is going to order some steering stabilzers and see if that helps.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Tell him to check the bolt that bolts the pan rod bar to the frame. It needs to be torqued to over 400 ft lbs.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
^THIS^

After I lifted my 99, I forgot to tighten the bolt that holds the panhard to the axle, hit a bump, and it vibrated so much I could barely keep it straight. After I got the truck stopped, I pulled over, re-tightened everything (I actually brought tools with in case of an 'oh sh!t moment'), and never had a problem after that.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
I just got a paper in the mail from ford about this... I had DW in my opinion there are quite a few reasons to cause DW. I know when i had it was the ball joint track bar mount that was causing it. I now have a PMF track bar that uses heim joints and no more death wobble.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
There is something loose or worn in the suspension/steering system. The only way you get this condition is by the axle physically moving horizontally not up and down. Check all the ball joints for excessive play and tighten the crap out of it. If he crashes cause of this, sue Ford's ass. They should not let him out of there without fixing that condition.

MorganY

Reaction score
I had that issue too, although my PH nut was tighten to 425, it still showed up, ended up putting dual steering stabilizers on and it fixed the problem fwiw. Hope you get it solved! Second that on the suspensions parts as well