Debating 6.2 vs. 6.7

ToMang07

Reaction score
So my LEEEEGUNDAIRY 7.3 is just rotting away. Cab is junk at this point, and I don't imagine the frame is too far behind.

So I'm looking at a 17+ Aluminum Super Duty. F*CK rust.

My budget isn't huge.... looking at 35k, which is putting me in the XL/STX/XLT range, with the occasional 6.7l in there.

I know diesels cost more on maintenance. My plan would be to deleeete what I can ASAP.

Im just worried about these newer finicky fuel systems taking out a 12k motor. Can't afford that, and most diesels in my price range are closer to 100k than not.

Im telling myself the gasser is the safe bet. I know it'll do whatever I need. I feel retarded being so damn indecisive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
The gasser fuel mileage is a full 2-3 mpg less.
The resale difference is higher than the initial purchase price, by a good bit. And it increases as the time goes on.
The power, especially loaded, is... lacking. I have a stock 14 250 6.7 and a stock 16 6.2, in my fleet and i’d take the 6.7 any day. The 6.2 really feels hills, trailers, and even real heavy loads in the bed. The 6.7 just feels like it likes to run. Out of a 26 gallon tank the 6.7 has a longer range than the 31 gallon tank in the 6.2. Tank

I wouldn’t buy a 6.2 again. I like diesels, but regardless even people who are apathetic about them say the 6.2 really isn’t all that. A ******d 6.7 will run circles around a 6.2 in mileage and power. I haven’t heard about the cp4 taking out a 6.7 but regardless the “disaster prevention kits” are cheap insurance.

I think the 6.2 is a fine motor, I’m keeping mine and there’s some cool stuff for them, tuning, supercharger kits, etc (it’s the same engine that was in the 6.2 raptors) but imo, there’s not a lot that makes it an attractive option to me over a 6.7.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
6.7 all day. If you can hold out till the 20's hit the lot, I'd bet prices are gonna come down some on 17-19's. I'll keep my eyes peeled down here in FL for ya. Tons of them around here

sootie

Reaction score
Disaster prevention kits lol....keep drinking the Kool aid.

6.2s suck. No two ways about it.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Disaster prevention kits lol....keep drinking the Kool aid.

6.2s suck. No two ways about it.
To be fair....I have 2 brothers with 6.2s and they aren't bad. Obviously not torquey like the diesels are. But my brother who lives with me sees 16mpg regularly, and he drives like I do. (A-hole)

ToMang07

Reaction score
6.7 all day. If you can hold out till the 20's hit the lot, I'd bet prices are gonna come down some on 17-19's. I'll keep my eyes peeled down here in FL for ya. Tons of them around here
Problem is I don't want to put the SHO back on the road this winter. Roads around here are TERRIBLE and getting worse..
Adding in frost heaves..... it'll destroy it. I love the thing but I just need a truck. If I wait it'll be winter.

superpsd

Reaction score
If you only need a 250 you may wait to see what the price will be on a 2020 XL with the new 7.3 gasser. Would be more than your desired budget but a warranty goes a long ways to save in the distance versus buying a truck with no warranty that can destruct at any time.

ToMang07

Reaction score
If you only need a 250 you may wait to see what the price will be on a 2020 XL with the new 7.3 gasser. Would be more than your desired budget but a warranty goes a long ways to save in the distance versus buying a truck with no warranty that can destruct at any time.
As much as I agree, I'm sure it's going to be an in- between the 6.2 and 6.7 package, so it won't be even close to my budget. As much as I'd love to wait and just buy new...I highly doubt I'd find one under 50, let alone near 35. Does sound like it's gonna be a sweet old school motor tho

sootie

Reaction score
16 mpg? Tell me another one...

Can't even get 12 driving normally, 8-9 plowing or towing.

Gutless pos.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Best i saw in the 6.2 was 14.5 on the highway. Mixed driving is around 11.

ToMang07

Reaction score
16 mpg? Tell me another one...

Can't even get 12 driving normally, 8-9 plowing or towing.

Gutless pos.
He does. .. but only because he has the tiny XL tires still. Lol

Latest posts

Members online