DEF Vid has me Leary

tmillburg

Reaction score
Eventually the truck will only start and idle, speed is limited first - then idle only.

If you run out of DEF while driving/ ideling the truck will not limp, until you start/restart....i think everyone understands?

Translated from Morse Code

Mdub707

Reaction score
VW passats with urea injection will only start something like 7 times AFTER the fluid has run out, then it will not start, and must be towed to a certified VW center to become operational again.

Good info on the trucks, I wasn't sure how these worked. Seems like you'd really have to push it to get it to that point anyways. Or just delete it if you're not happy with it.

BFinMO

Reaction score
Very good info! Just crossing into the 900 mile range on the ODO. So in hopes it will be a bit before I need any.

Now...Last weekend I was at a truck stop that had DEF on 'Tap' and the pump would not put any in the tank. Per the owners manual there are apparently some pumps that will not function as a result of a magnetic something or other, but the FlynJ didnt work for me. Got $.05 worth and that is all it would take. Dang. Close truck stop with an actual pump....Guess it Juggs, haha, until better accomidations become available.

BFinMO

Reaction score
Didn't add above that I did have the truck running when I tried the DEF pump, not sure that would affect anything. But with the kiddos with me I dont shut it off.

tmillburg

Reaction score
Very good info! Just crossing into the 900 mile range on the ODO. So in hopes it will be a bit before I need any.

Now...Last weekend I was at a truck stop that had DEF on 'Tap' and the pump would not put any in the tank. Per the owners manual there are apparently some pumps that will not function as a result of a magnetic something or other, but the FlynJ didnt work for me. Got $.05 worth and that is all it would take. Dang. Close truck stop with an actual pump....Guess it Juggs, haha, until better accomidations become available.

they sell the magnets behind the counter iirc

Translated from Morse Code

TyCorr

Reaction score
I know this is a different animal but my 2011 dmax was going through a full tank of.def every 2k miles. After 10k "You guys better ***kin fix.this.POS". That night it froze up on me and would only go 45mph or less. It took until 25k until they got it right which ultimately meant gm replacing the WHOLE def system.Fast forward to Oct of 11..exactly one year and two weeks later, got a 2012 dmax and have had no trouble with it. Its a totally different truck. Ive had five now. My 07 classic(03-06 bodystyle) was my favorite just because it felt like it had 450 hp. Although the new one is powerful but that ***kin vibration in the passenger side.firewall is drivin me mad.

My point, not all def systems are created equal.

Last edited:

BFinMO

Reaction score
Well its back at the dealer again...Exhaust Fluid System Fault came on again, 1,194 Miles. Apparently they have contacted Ford for a fix and will know more tomorrow. Since it was the second time for the same thing they need guidence from the big dogs. We will see.

Anyone know the ins and out of the Lemon Law?

BFinMO

Reaction score
Went in today and picked up the truck this evening. It is not yet fixed but they were able to clear the fault. I was lucky enough to get the ears of Three of the diesel techs in a group and they each exclaimed this problem is a new one for them.

The end all is that I will need to take it back when the replacement parts come in, early next week was claimed. It was explained to me that the tech was directed to Ford Engineering directly for a fix. His was instructed to replace the NO2(?), or "Nox", part he called it and something else and then send the pieces back directly to Ford Engineering so they can research the failure. Sounds to me like a new problem. Only this guy could this crap happen to.

Either way they have assured me a stable fix. Time will tell. Maybe I should stop posting to this thread and my problems will go away. Haha, karma.

BFinMO

Reaction score
Just for reference I notice that the second fault came exactly at the 1K mile mark after the initial problem.

Additionally, when I got the second fault it had shown "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" three times that day. Guess I should have paid attention to it.

Attachments

• DEF 2 (2).JPG
    DEF 2 (2).JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 64

HoustonRider

Reaction score
I think if you were doing an around the globe trip and didn't want to stop for DEF, it could leave you stranded. I added some (never low, just topped it off) at 4800 miles, 8700, 11300, 14600, 22196.... never a "low DEF" light yet. when you check it via the message system, it may say "less than half, etc" for the DEF, but even then you are thousands of miles from empty. I think a warning will light when you have 800 miles left.... idk.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.